Gibson Brands Forums

Help ?? Sothern Jumbo Question

suburude63

Yeah, starting in 1955 the pointy pickguard is standard.

I would say though that not all 1950s SJs are created equal. I doubt you will run across two Gibsons that are sonic twins. Too many variables in the wood selection and build process. Then you have to throw in varibles resulting from the aging process into the mix. The SJ I ended up with was one of three mid-1950s guitars I had the opportunity to take out for a test drive so I got to play them strung with my usual strings and had enough time with them to shake off the cobwebs. All three were certainly nice sounding guitars but one was a bit more detailed with a better defined top end, more pronounced mids and tighter lows than the others. The strings just seemed to blend together real well and there was a crackling edge to it. To my ears it stood out in the crowd. That was the one I snagged.

Yeah, starting in 1955 the pointy pickguard is standard.

I would say though that not all 1950s SJs are created equal. I doubt you will run across two Gibsons that are sonic twins. Too many variables in the wood selection and build process. Then you have to throw in varibles resulting from the aging process into the mix. The SJ I ended up with was one of three mid-1950s guitars I had the opportunity to take out for a test drive so I got to play them strung with my usual strings and had enough time with them to shake off the cobwebs. All three were certainly nice sounding guitars but one was a bit more detailed with a better defined top end, more pronounced mids and tighter lows than the others. The strings just seemed to blend together real well and there was a crackling edge to it. To my ears it stood out in the crowd. That was the one I snagged.

Whats a fair price for a 57 lets say ? I know its tough but this one I am thinking of has no cracks just checking a little fret wear?

Archived