Gibson Brands Forums

Jazz Foundations...

PartsPvt

Yeah..I never had "favorites" actually. There is so much to absorb..so much creativity. I admire so many..listen to the variety.

During longer solos I would find a touch of something from these..that worked into some hard/acid stuff I was doing. Just like doing the Marlboro theme in a section. These are the foundations of inspiration for me..

You don't see many jazz pickers playing a Fender;

There is a interesting story about this song, Joe had spent two and a half years in Synanon a drug rehab center, during that time he played his guitar constantly, this was recorded in 1962 after he put his life back together...

You don't see many jazz pickers playing a Fender;

There is a interesting story about this song, Joe had spent two and a half years in Synanon a drug rehab center, during that time he played his guitar constantly, this was recorded in 1962 after he put his life back together...

Fantastic post....I always wanted to see some of his music from this period !!

I'm not sure.

The collaboration with John McLaughlin yielded Ïn a Silent Way and then *****es Brew followed by a bunch of other stuff which suggested to me that Miles was going after more of a rock audience by the late 60s.

I like the first but I'm still thinking about the second and subsequent.

I don't know how much more say Jimi would have had over the final product than John who, at that time, had yet to become famous. On the other hand, I feel that John had more interesting compositional ideas and a stronger jazz background which probably provided a better fit with Miles and the other players like Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul etc who also had jazz backgrounds.

RN

Yes Robin, good points....I've enjoyed J McL's playing for a long time and admire his precision and jazz roots

His clean lifestyle also contrasted with the jazz/rock fashions of his peers

I think Jimi's huge popularity and personality would have sparked off some magical moments

Perhaps with a bit too much craziness and hype for comfort....!!

Archived