Gibson Brands Forums

SWD studio vs standard tone difference

EuroAussie

Hi folks,

Im right now in the UK visiting some friends and popped in to a mums and pop music store. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they stocked 4 Gibson acoustics.

Tried a lovelly Hummingbird, CJ-165 that finally had some depth and richness, a J-200 that was pretty flat sounding, uninspiring, and finally a SWD Standard.

I was really surprised by the SWD standard for two reasons. Firstly, it felt a LOT lighter than my SWD studio, and secondly i found the tone to be nowhere near as deep and rich that i find both on rosewood guitars and my SWD studio. It played great and the tone was actually fine, but different. It almost sounded more like the Hummingbird, mahogany guitar rather than rosewood.

I jammed with another guy that was there and he played lead on it which sounded great, but not as strong strumming. I was playing rhythm on the J-200.

I have to say overall my SWD Studio sounded stronger as it had a richer, deeper chocolately tone.

Was wondering i anybody else tried both a SWD studio and standard and how did you find the difference ?

cheers,

Mark

I haven't compared the 2. Actually, I've not seen the new standard in the flesh. The only music stores I tend to browse these days are in Denmark St and it's rare to find a new Gibson acoustic there. There are a few interesting used ones, especially in Vintage and Rare who have a few examples from 50s/60s and 70s.

Where in the UK are you? If you are planning a trip to Denmark St this week, let me know as I'm in and out of London a bit this week and it would be great to meet for a beer.

Would have been great to meet up for a beer AJ but Im back in Prague already. It was just a thurs - sunday trip, my wifes brother live in the UK and we went to visit him and his mrs.

We were in Huntingdon, which is around 20 miles from Cambridge which we also visited on saturday (great little town). The music shop is called Simply Music and it really is lovelly mum and pop shop with a surprisingly strong selection of guitars, especially Gibsons both acoustic and in particular electric. I was jamming with another guy for some 20 mins doing old GNR, Oasis tracks, good fun and highly recommend the shop !

Felt like i should have bought something from thom as they were so nice so at least i picked up a Gibson t-shirt ! :-)

cheers.

Mark

I haven't compared the 2. Actually, I've not seen the new standard in the flesh. The only music stores I tend to browse these days are in Denmark St and it's rare to find a new Gibson acoustic there. There are a few interesting used ones, especially in Vintage and Rare who have a few examples from 50s/60s and 70s.

Where in the UK are you? If you are planning a trip to Denmark St this week, let me know as I'm in and out of London a bit this week and it would be great to meet for a beer.

Would have been great to meet up for a beer AJ but Im back in Prague already. It was just a thurs - sunday trip, my wifes brother live in the UK and we went to visit him and his mrs.

We were in Huntingdon, which is around 20 miles from Cambridge which we also visited on saturday (great little town). The music shop is called Simply Music and it really is lovelly mum and pop shop with a surprisingly strong selection of guitars, especially Gibsons both acoustic and in particular electric. I was jamming with another guy for some 20 mins doing old GNR, Oasis tracks, good fun and highly recommend the shop !

Felt like i should have bought something from thom as they were so nice so at least i picked up a Gibson t-shirt ! :-)

cheers.

Mark

Never mind. Will buy you a beer next time!

I'm not far from Cambridge myself but rarely visit. Will check out the shop.

Cheers

I think the difference you are hearing has more to do with the hand crafted nature of the guitar rather than any difference in design or materials. The SWD Studio and Standard are the same guitars with different levels of appointments. I think you'll find that a SWD Studio will sound different from another SWD Studio given the individually hand scalloped bracing in the guitars. The only real difference between the two models is the inlays, bridge shape and bindings, none of which affect tone.

Exactly. Thats precisely the reason why i was so surprised by the difference, in particular the difference in weight. My SWD studio is one of the heaviest guitars Ive come across but the SWD Standard felt more like the H/bird that was there, much lighter..

I think the difference you are hearing has more to do with the hand crafted nature of the guitar rather than any difference in design or materials. The SWD Studio and Standard are the same guitars with different levels of appointments. I think you'll find that a SWD Studio will sound different from another SWD Studio given the individually hand scalloped bracing in the guitars. The only real difference between the two models is the inlays, bridge shape and bindings, none of which affect tone.

Exactly. Thats precisely the reason why i was so surprised by the difference, in particular the difference in weight. My SWD studio is one of the heaviest guitars Ive come across but the SWD Standard felt more like the H/bird that was there, much lighter..

Could the extra weight be the electronics in your EC? That chunk of plastic makes the guitar heavier.

It could be but i doubt it as the SWD Standard also had electronice, although the Fishman Aura band, rather than the barn door Fishman Prefix.

Could the extra weight be the electronics in your EC? That chunk of plastic makes the guitar heavier.

Archived