Gibson Brands Forums

Question about poly finish....

dhanners623

Relic'ing an acoustic guitar? ](*,)

I know of at least one guitar shop (in Nashville) that does it. Charges quite a bit, too, but they do good work and the guitar comes out looking vintage and worn. Obviously, there's a market for that kind of thing, as Fender discovered with its electrics. Even Huss & Dalton -- a fairly traditional builder of really nice acoustic guitars -- has started offering a "stage worn" version of their dreadnaughts.

I don't think wanting a vintage-looking guitar makes someone any less of a guitarist or musician, nor do I think it makes someone a poseur. It is their money. Some musicians are just very particular about how their guitars look. They are ours, after all. I've spent bucks for Greven Tor-tis pickguards when I could get a "regular" pickguard for a third of the price. I've spent money on tuner upgrades or for tuner buttons that are different shapes than the ones that came on the guitar, but the stock tuners on the guitar could have done the same basic job. It's just that I didn't like the looks of the stock tuners.

As much as I like my Texan, it just looks too darn new for as good as it sounds.

And to save everyone the trouble of writing the inevitable reply, I'll do it for them: Yes, I'll play the hell out of the thing.

Yeah, but at least on electrics the checking is generally only in the color coat.

The way a guy like J. Black relics solid body electrics is he subjects them to cold and then heat (or visa versa). Not sure that would be wise with an acoustic. But there are plenty of guitars out there with "vintage" tops meaning from what I can tell they are just darkened.

• 2 weeks later...

Poly finishes, compared to nitrocellulose of 'better' guitars, are nearly bullet proof. However, you can crack them by taking them outside in -20° F weather, then bringing it quickly into a +70°F house. The extremes in temperature change can crack the finish, usually, not in a pleasing alligator fashion. Usually 2 or 3 long cracks. Think cracked picture window.

Rapid temperature changes can be effected by flying with a guitar as checked baggage. A recent trip revealed that the outside temp, 38K feet over Greenland was -72°F. No clue what the cargo hold was. Suffice it to say a guitar can get quite cold down there. Then pop it open in the airport in Tampa... Crrrrrrrrrrrrack!

• 2 weeks later...

Poly finishes, compared to nitrocellulose of 'better' guitars, are nearly bullet proof. However, you can crack them by taking them outside in -20° F weather, then bringing it quickly into a +70°F house. The extremes in temperature change can crack the finish, usually, not in a pleasing alligator fashion. Usually 2 or 3 long cracks. Think cracked picture window.

Rapid temperature changes can be effected by flying with a guitar as checked baggage. A recent trip revealed that the outside temp, 38K feet over Greenland was -72°F. No clue what the cargo hold was. Suffice it to say a guitar can get quite cold down there. Then pop it open in the airport in Tampa... Crrrrrrrrrrrrack!

Well, I live in Minnesota, so if I wait until January or February, we'll get our -20 temperatures. So maybe I'll find out by accident....

• 2 months later...

Be warned, the cracks in a poly finish will not imitate the checking you see in a nitro finish. The nitro is thin and brittle, whereas the poly is thick, and hard. When poly cracks, the word BUST seems to better describe the look! The cracks in poly will be very deep, dark, and very noticeable. Also, a cracked poly guitar just looks abused, making your guitar look like a P.O.S. Not to mention, whatever "value" your guitar had will be deminished remarkably. Poly was used to help guitars stay looking newer longer.

Archived