Gibson Brands Forums

j-190 super fusion

jefleppard

hello, all. i played one of these yesterday in ann arbor at herb david's. incidentally, he is no longer a gibby dealer and subsequently, he is clearing out all the gibson stock at 40-50% off. this guitar impressed me but i did not plug it in. does anyone have an opinion about it? they want 2200 for it. (this pic is from elderly). i really liked it acoustically and the intonation was good. they are a discontinued model and the original price was around 4000.

http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-7956.htm

as a side note, the manager told me they no longer deal with gibson due to minimum stock level guarantees. similar to our brit friend's problems, i guess.

oh, TP...i played a taylor 655 and just about ****. wow. what a beauty.

hello' date=' all. i played one of these yesterday in ann arbor at herb david's. incidentally, he is no longer a gibby dealer and subsequently, he is clearing out all the gibson stock at 40-50% off. this guitar impressed me but i did not plug it in. does anyone have an opinion about it? they want 2200 for it. (this pic is from elderly). i really liked it acoustically and the intonation was good. they are a discontinued model and the original price was around 4000.

http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-7956.htm

as a side note, the manager told me they no longer deal with gibson due to minimum stock level guarantees. similar to our brit friend's problems, i guess.

oh, TP...i played a taylor 655 and just about ****. wow. what a beauty.[/quote']

Nice guitar Jeff but which stupid S.O.B. put those knobs on it??

You be careful with those Taylors you'll be over at the A.C.F, soon!

Minimum stock guarantees from Gibson eh, haven't heard that one before <<<<<not!

All well with you mate?

BR

John

Nice guitar Jeff but which stupid S.O.B. put those knobs on it??

You be careful with those Taylors you'll be over at the A.C.F' date=' soon!

Minimum stock guarantees from Gibson eh, haven't heard that one before <<<<<not!

All well with you mate?

BR

John[/quote']

knobs are stock. there is a tranducer and a bridge p/u. funny looking, ageed.

just dripping with sweat in the arsehole of canada, JT. humidex makes it feel like 37C. guitar sound great, though!

dripping with sweat in the arsehole of canada' date='JT. humidex makes it feel like 37C. guitar sound great, though![/quote']

NIIIIIIIICE mate!

I really didn't need that image!

ROFLMAO

hello' date=' all. i played one of these yesterday in ann arbor at herb david's.... i really liked it acoustically and the intonation was good. ...[/quote']

I have one of these, and really like it for its flexibility. I was looking for something in maple, and preferred the J-190, acoustically, to others I tried out. It was pretty comparable structurally to a J-185ec in the same shop, but sounded better to me. (Maybe the arched back on the J-190 was a factor.) But what really put it over the top was that, by playing through the mag pickup alone, you can get a reasonable approximation to a J-160e. It's like two guitars in one! (Of course, neither one is an archtop jazz guitar, so you should just ignore that part of the sales pitch.) And it probably didn't hurt that Jorma Kaukonen was using a pair of J-190s as his "acoustic" stage guitars at the time, and getting by far his best tone (using both pickups) since switching to an acoustic-electric as a result.

-- Bob R

Archived