Gibson Brands Forums

help me identify my Gibson

rick11

This guitar was purchased for me when i was a kid around 1963. It has been in my closet for around 40 yrs and i just pulled it out. i want to start playing again but also want to know a bit of the history. Does anyone know what model this is, does it have any value, etc. It has a serial number on the back - 56702.

Also I need new strings - what should i buy for this model. And lastly I am toying with buying an amplifier -and again what should i buy.

any help is appreciated

http://picasaweb.google.com/rick.ciccone/Ricks?authkey=dyeVATAJpDA

thanks

rick

Here is what I could find out for you. You have a tobacco burst and the guitar was also made in a cherry burst. Yours is in great condition with the pick guard all intact with no cracks I can see, but a neck inspection might reveal some minor issues given the age, the storage situation and the lack of string changes.

I found prices ranging from $800 to $1200 so I would think yours anywhere in that range you feel most comfortable. It was a student model guitar, and I haven't played one, but I did own an ES-125 and I liked it a lot. The fact I found most interesting is the construction technique on your ES 120T where they put all the electronics on the pick guard then mounted the whole assembly into the body of the guitar. Cool, but vulnerable.

I don't do serial numbers on electrics. Someone else can help with that.

From this website:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson4.html

Gibson ES-120T Thinline Fully Hollow Electric Archtop.

Available: 1962 to 1971

Collectibility Rating: D- (Gibson's most basic and least expensive student model electric thinline archtop. Even cheaper than an ES-125t). The Gibson ES-120t was an inexpensive guitar for Gibson to produce because the pickguard assembly, which holds all the guitar's electronics, can be made off the guitar. It is then "dropped in" to the body as the last assembly step. The front of the guitar is routed like a small swimming pool to accomodate the pickguard and pickups/electronics. This is why the guitar only has one "f" hole. A common problem with this model is the overly thick pickguard can crack, since the output jack is part of the pickguard, adding lots of pressure to the pickguard upon jack insertion/removal.

1962 Gibson ES-120T specs:

16.25" wide, 1 "f" hole, Melody Maker style pickup mounted on the pickguard, knobs and jack also mounted on the pickguard, single bound top and back, dot fingerboard inlays, decal peghead logo, sunburst finish.

1971 Gibson ES-120TD discontinued.

From this website:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson4.html

True...what the above members stated! An ES-120T from 1962. I used to stick my nose up at them...but have since had a change of heart. I think they are real retro-cool with that funky pickguard. I have one currently that plays and sounds really nice...

Hey cunkhead, The one he is playing is an ES-125T. Almost the same , but lacks the cool-man, Gumby-looking pickguard and controls. Different P'up also. The 120 came with a Melody Maker style, The 125 has the P-90...Rrod

I had one of those back in 1988. Bought it for $140 and sold it a couple months later for $200. Those days are gone. Bought a 1960 J45 that year from the same guy for $170. I think my 120 was closer to a '69 based on the sunburst; it wasn't cherry or tobacco, it was a dark reddish brown.

Thanks to all of you for your help. It seemed difficult to get any info but you had it all. My parents bought this for me in 62 or 63 - i think Christmas of 62. I was seven. I remember we were dirt poor but my mom was a big music nut - her father used to play sousaphone in a marching band. ANyway they paid $210 for it back them which was probably a month's salary for my dad! I played for a few years and then changed instruments - i continued playing music until I finished high school - sax. I really need to get back to it.

Again - thanks for all your help

Archived