Gibson Brands Forums

Measuring Action ?

suburude63

I have often wondered about this Measuring of action on a guitar. People are often saying the string highth at the 12 fret is

Whatever? I just got my 57 SJ ! Nice guitar no cracks neck is straight but hte string highth at the 12 fret is 1/8 roughly measured maybe 4 /16ths . The guitars action at the top frets is just fine. Neck is arrow straight. [confused]

Any oppinions welcome ! Thanks! [cool]

Jim, how tall is your saddle ?

I usually measure my string height in 32's and 64's.

Are you thinking your 1/8 inch is higher then you would like it to be ?

My guitars are alwyas 3/32 to 5/64 at the 12th fret on low E.

Curious as to what type of measureing device your using, because you say your measurement is [roughly] 4/16, a tape measure or an accurate small ruler ?

I don't think 1/8 inch is too high myself !

Hi, from my experience and much research achieving desired action is more than just straightening the neck. My new J-45's (bought it used, its 2 yrs old) action was much higher than I would like. I have since realized that due to excess humidity the bridge is a little high due swelling of top but after leaving out of case for a week it is starting to settle nicely. Today I tweaked the neck and height of low E at 12th fret is about 7/64 inch.

this is the best site I could find with lots of answers.

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

... My guitars are alwyas 3/32 to 5/64 at the 12th fret on low E.

5/64 bass, 3/64 treble is where I like to be - but sometimes it's 6/64 and 4/64

1/8 or 8/64 bass seems a bit high to me, but some fingerpickers like 'em up there. Usually factory tops is 7/64 bass.

An 1/8" is 4/32" or 8/64" which, for me is high. 4/16 is 1/4" or 8/32 or 16/64" which is unplayable so I think you meant 4/32".

Just a note about adjusting the truss rod to affect action; this does affect action but the truss rod is not used for that purpose. You adjust the truss rod to add or remove relief (forward or back bow) to the neck. Once you have the amount of relief you feel comfortable with, then action is adjusted by raising or lowering the saddle (if your nut has proper height and slot depth).

I have my SWD adjusted for 5/64 bass side and 3/64 treble side with just a hint of relief.

Archived