Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Double Cutaway I.D. HELP

RichardHBeeby

Hey, wondering if anyone could help me here.

I have a Double Cutaway which I’ve had for a few years but have no idea of the model.

It seems the previous owner may have changed the bridge as it has some huge Washburn bridge on it, they also added a string lock at the head. Don’t get me wrong, it plays great and never loses it’s tuning, but it’s a shame not to have the origional parts as it seems a bit bastardised to me.

It also has a coil tap in the tone pot, the pick ups are Select by EMG, it’s a through neck with an ebony fret board and chevron fret markers. This is as much info as I have, and can’t find a serial number on it anywhere. There’s a link to some photos here…

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=3185453

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

#1. Welcome to the FORUM! Much fun to be had by all!

#2. Tried to view your pics, requires a "MySpace" log in to

continue. I won't use MySpace, or Facebook, or "FaceSpace",

as per news reports the sites are unable to securely guard

personal info.

Ahhhrgh - Paranoia!!! [scared][scared][scared]

Are you able to post pics via an image hosting site?

If you don't have one, follow this link to the Epi Lounge

DIY Thread - the First topic is about Posting Pics...

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

There it is! Epiphone Spotlight!

Thank you very much.

In regards to the bridge, one of my friends refers to it as the guitars after burners! It's not the most pleasing to the eye but it's never given me any problems. I'm always a bit wary of changing something that isn't broken.

Thanks again. I'll certainly be investigating further into this.

Rich

I have had one of these guitars for many years, they were originally issued with either a stratocaster style floating fulcrum bridge or more more commonly a steinberger bridge. The Steinberger bridges were problematic as the fulcrum posts were soft and would bend. many of the ones originally with the Steinberger set up have been modified or had the bridge replaced with anything that will fit.

These guitars particularly our one, which is the CMT (curly maple top) are quite rare. The wood and the skeleton of the guitars were put together in the east somewhere, prob' Japan or Korea then shipped to the states to have the electrics and hardware fitted. These guitars were only in production for a couple of years in the late 80's until PRS started a law suit because it was too similar to a PRS1.

good tone and sustain from the Mahogany body and through neck.

I hope you enjoy it [thumbup]

Ah that's great, thanks for the extra info.

It's quite an interesting story that comes along with this. It's a great instrument. I actualy sat down and did the maths and it turns out that this christmas I will have had it for 11 years. My dad picked it up for £150 from my maths teacher when I was 15 as a joint christmas and birthday present.

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

Rich

Archived