Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone give me info on Epi Les Paul Standard Plaintop?

glennc

Hello to all,

A while back I was craving an inexpensive but not dirt cheap Les Paul rep. I found what I believed was a special run (?) called the Les Paul Standard PlainTop Honeyburst S/N EE0512XXXX. If is pretty nice, unfortunately it has a three piece body and you can see the joints on the cut outs on both sides. The neck strangely enough looks like it is only two pieces, the neck and the heel of the neck. Must be some very nice matching. I am pretty sure it is Chinese made. I was wondering what would be considered good upgrades to the guitar. Tuners are pretty sloppy, don't know about the ?ABR-1 adjustable bridge or the pickups and the internal components. Sounds a little tinny, to me. The neck and the frets look and play pretty good. So it might be worth upgrading it some.

Thanks for any information on the guitar and it's specs and good replacement parts, and what order. You guys seem to know a lot about modding the Epi's. Thanks for any assistance.

glennc

hello, i just bought some cheap pick-ups that are really good value for money, and an excellent upgrade from the stock Epi' ones (Wilkinson zebras) usually £30 each, there is a guy selling them on eBay £25 for a matched pair.

not sure about the hardware though. got any pics?

Archived