Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for help with Dot

stevierussell

Hi Guys,

Novice looking for a bit of help

Recently fitted an Epiphone Bigsby style vibrato unit to my Dot. Everything is generally fine, no great tuning problems - the problem I have is solely with the b string, I appear to be getting a horrible intermittent fret type buzz but it appears to be coming from the bridge, a quick depress or raise of the vib arm temporarily clears the problem although obviously this is not a practical full time solution.

I find the fact that only one string is affected particularly baffling!

Has anyone experienced this problem before or have any advice on how to deal with it long term?

any advice gratefully received

id replace the dot bridge with bigsbys roller bridge or an equivalent also you mi ght find a roller nit to be helpful for other problems like staying in tune. i like the fender one myself but theres others out there. your probably hanging up on the saddle a bit.

had thought of maybe going for a roller bridge but this problem is only affecting the second string - this is the bit I'm finding quite baffling!

Without looking at it I would say the problem is a burr on your saddle. You could file it down. I had a tech set up a G-400 I have, with a Maestro, and he filed the saddles. I have NO tuning or buzzing issues with it and I use the Maestro frequently.

I put a Wilkinson roller bridge on my Dot and Sherry, both with B-70s and I have absolutely NO problems. I also put one on an Agile AL-3100 (LP copy) that has a B-70 on it too, and it works great. The Wilkinson works very good on LP style guitars because of the angle at the back of the bridge. Strings sometimes touch the back of the bridge and cause the string(s) to go out of tune. Not so with the Wilkinson. Here is a pic of my AL-3100:

AL-3100RollerBridgecloseupgreat.jpg

Archived