Gibson Brands Forums

'46 southerner

jefleppard

just kickin' around and saw this at the twelfth fret in toronto. is this a good price? looks 'well loved'. pic at bottom.

here is their description.....

Serial Number:... no visible serial or FON number; circa 1946

Description:... Here's a wonderful sounding post-Banner but pre Crown inlay SJ with a neck you can really grab on to and a bark that would make the postman twitch!!! Gibson introduced the Southerner Jumbo in '42 as a dressed up cousin to the J-45 and it has been popular ever since!

Neck:... 1 3/4" wide bone nut; Brazilian rosewood fingerboard; split-parallelogram markers; gold script logo; tuners changed to Patent Pending Grover Rotomatics; tapered peghead; adjustable truss rod; mahogany neck with nice meaty C-shape profile

Frets:... non original frets showing moderately heavy wear in first 5 positions

Body:... slope shoulder dreadnought with spruce top and tropical mahogany back & sides; multiple top & back bindings; Brazilian rosewood belly-down bridge with nice high bone saddle; small tortoiseshell teardrop pickguard; top wear around soundhole has been partially filled in; three back cracks have been repaired; lots of wear but structurally solid

Finish:... original finish has lots of wear, checking and some overspray

Playability/Action:... excellent; currently setup at 4.5 - 7/64" with lots of saddle showing

Case:... later Gibson hardshell case in 7/10 condition

Pricing:... $4999.00 Can/US dollars

http://www.12fret.com/used/GibsonSJca46.jpg

actually (edit) scroll down 1/3 of the way to flat tops and check it all out. wotrth a look....

http://www.12fret.com/used/index.html

just kickin' around and saw this at the twelfth fret in toronto. is this a good price? looks 'well loved'. pic at bottom.

http://www.12fret.com/used/GibsonSJca46.jpg

So that what happens when someone loves a guitar enough to play it as opposed to keeping it in cotton wool eh?

By that reckoning, If I stop being nice to my J45 and stick on some proper strings she will look like that in 33 years!

And if so she'll look better than I will!

What you have is a $5000 offer to sell a guitar which appears to have a beautiful enough voice to interest the previous owner in keeping her in playable condition.

Are you going to hang her on the wall and admire her? or Play her? The choice is yours.

What other guitar can you purchase for $5k? Will it sound as good?

I think it's fantastic and worth every penny. If I had the free cash I'd be on it like white-on-rice and leave you in the dust. There are a group of us out there that really value a great sounding, well-played guitar, and this one looks like the cream of the crop.

Let us know if you buy it.

This is a tough one for sure. You decide based on the tone alone - if it sounds good enough to be a $5K guitar, then it is one, and if it falls short, there are plenty of things to pick apart with this instrument.

You have non-original frets, over spray, non-original tuners, cracks, lots of wear and checking - it has had a rough life, but a good life being played instead of pondered.

I would suspect, however, that this much wear and this many repairs are suggestive of a guitar that might not be in its prime. It appears to have had partial restorations without the full meal deal - but I have often found guitars like this that sound absolutely amazing - so again, follow the ears.

I would certainly love to play it because these old dry Gibbys can be so stunning. You know someone has found a lot of music inside that box for it to have this much patina.

Re the cork-sniffing thread-- that pic does get my juices flowing.

Id say they are trying to squeeze every penny they can out of it. Might need a fret job.

For what it's worth, a Woody Banner or a semi-true Vintage goes for under 3k. Either sounds

nice and would need a trip to the tech. Just call me mr buzzkill!

Archived