Gibson Brands Forums

gibson 1988 showcase edition guitars

dragracer

HELP FIND THE TRUTH Back in 1988 my best friend was a guitar salesman for Sam Ash Music. When the 'Showcase Edition Guitars' were released, less then 20 music stores got them, and only one of each model. Thats because acording to Gibson ( in 1988 ) they only made 200 'Showcase Edition Guitars'. there were 9 different models and 20 of each model, except for the last model which they made 40. This last model (from Dec. 1988) was the Les Paul Pro, was really a 1956 Goldtop reissue hand singed by 'Les' on the pick guard and a solid, one piece body and , of course, cream P-90's. ( has anyone ever seen one? )(we had no interest in the models with EMG pickups)

My friend and I tried to buy all 40 of them, but we could only get the 5 (Les Paul Pro '1956 Goldtop reissue' showcase edition's, signed by 'Les') , that were sent to the Sam Ash chain of stores. I still have the best one of the 5, as new in the case.

On the cert. of authenticity that came with every 'Showcase edition' guitar, states that.. " This is one of only 200 Showcase Edition Guitars manufactured in 1988." It goes on to say, " There are nine models, you have one of 200 ". I also have a promo card that came with the guitar that states... " One of Only 200 Produced, Certtificate of Authenticity Enclosed in Case "

The reason I'm posting this is because now , 22 years later, Gibson, and everyone, else, is saying there are 200 of each model, and 10 models. That adds up to 2000 'Showcase Edition Guitars' manufactured in 1988 !! I'm trying to keep believing what I have in print, and what I know, (there's only 200 Showcase Edition Guitars) ( and 50 for export)

I've called gibson, but they say the "concensus is that there 200 of each model" I havent been able to talk to anyone willing to dig up the facts. I bet Gibson doesnt even know that the 'Showcase Edition Guitars' were made in the Custom Shop.

I know mis-information can be hard to undo, and here's a more recent example. In 2007 Gibson made a run of Les Paul BFG's that were signed by "LES" on the headstock, in place of the 'LesPaul model' decal. Every add for one of these guitars states that Gibson made 52 of each of the 3 colors, when the truthis Gibson made 55 of each (it was a 55th aniversery of the Les Paul model)

I have one in gold and one in red, both still new and unused (except to set up).

Does anyone know who can get the facts correct for the 'Showcase Edition Guitars'?

... On the cert. of authenticity that came with every 'Showcase edition' guitar, states that...

Daveinspain - maybe.

Maybe he's just trying to support his investment and bring down the number of the guitars allegedly out there.

He could scan the COA and post it here or email the scan to Gibson. That would put Gibson on the hot seat - either their current numbers are wrong, or the COAs that came with the original guitars were wrong.

Archived