Gibson Brands Forums

1997 EPI Samick

stevet

I just bought a like new 1997 Sheraton II. Hardshell case is in great shape, and guitar is near perfect. The story was it's been in storage since the 1990s.... It does play well, and is in good shape.

My questions are two:

1. Are the late 1990s Samick Sheratons well thought of? how do they compare with other factories, and with the newer Chinese Sheratons?

2. Never had a semi-hollow body before. What strings are best on these? Been using electric guitar strings, 9s, on my Les Paul. So I assume these are electric and not acoustic strings (I use acoustic 12s on my Songwriter, for example).

Steve

I just bought a like new 1997 Sheraton II. Hardshell case is in great shape, and guitar is near perfect. The story was it's been in storage since the 1990s.... It does play well, and is in good shape.

My questions are two:

1. Are the late 1990s Samick Sheratons well thought of? how do they compare with other factories, and with the newer Chinese Sheratons?

2. Never had a semi-hollow body before. What strings are best on these? Been using electric guitar strings, 9s, on my Les Paul. So I assume these are electric and not acoustic strings (I use acoustic 12s on my Songwriter, for example).

Steve

1. Most people say they are better than MIC.

2. Standard gauge for a Sheraton is 10-46 (at least the new ones, I'm not sure if this could be different for a '97), and of course those are strings for electric gits. The gauge is up to your liking however, but remember to make the adjustments to the neck and in the ideal case make the nut fit for the strings.

In my experience, Samicks from the late 90's are really, really good, especially on the higher end instruments. The Sheraton is Epi's top-of-the-line semi-hollow guitar, so they generally received the most attention to detail, along with the Broadway, Emperor Regent, Lucille, and Joe Pass models, as well as Les Paul Customs made by Samick.

Ok, here's the picture of my '97 Sheraton II. It has an interesting brown sunburst (all the other sunbursts I've seen have more yellow in them). And on the back of the headstock there are stickers saying "100% inspected and setup in the USA by 19", and "Made in Korea".

IMG00077.jpg

See here for help on inserting pictures ;)

Ok, here's the picture of my '97 Sheraton II. And on the back of the headstock there are stickers saying "100% inspected and setup in the USA by 19", and "Made in Korea".

I've heard that "19" was accused of assaulting himself. There were no weapons, no witnesses and no arrests were made.

The important thing is that you have inspected it and like what you have seen and heard.

From the picture I would say you have a winner. Hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Congrats!!

Willy

Archived