Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Jr Special

truetone6

What is this guitar at Guitar Center? Gibson USA is making 2 different versions of the Les Paul Junior Special ?

IMG00729-20101016-1950.jpg

That is an exclusive GC limited edition run Special. I've posted that guitar a week ago on this thread. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56608-les-paul-special-is-here/

I played it and compared the special that was selling for $1200. The GC limited run was much better IMHO, glossy Nitro instead of satin and it had neck bindings like the original 55 did.

IMG_6967.jpg

That is an exclusive GC limited edition run Special. I've posted that guitar a week ago on this thread. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56608-les-paul-special-is-here/

I played it and compared the special that was selling for $1200. The GC limited run was much better IMHO, glossy Nitro instead of satin and it had neck bindings like the original 55 did.

Wait...there are 3 different Les Paul specials? these 2 at GC

IMG_6967.jpg

and this one at MF?

LPDJGKCH1-Finish-Shot-2.jpg

Pics 1 and 2 from top to bottom are the same guitar. Pic 3 is the current run priced at $1200. So, only 2 different les paul specials, not including the custom shop versions.

Ok,but the guitar in picture 1 has a satin finish and neck binding

IMG_6967.jpg

The guitar in picture 2 has a gloss finish and neck binding

Then to add to the confusion Wildwood has another version with satin finish and no binding. Also,did the guitar you played at GC have a contoured back like this one at Wildwood?

121400555_f.jpg121400555_bf.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_7.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_6.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_5.jpg

lpspecialcherry_1312_2.jpg

I was just at GC today and I confirm that the pic 1 and 2 are the same guitar, both are nitro gloss finish. The satin finish is the one that was made for the Japn market and costing more, $1200, no neck bindings. Actually, the GC special for $999 comes in two colors, heritage cherry like pic1 and walnut, more of a dark brown color. Yes, it has a contoured back like wildwoods.

I was just at GC today and I confirm that the pic 1 and 2 are the same guitar, both are nitro gloss finish. The satin finish is the one that was made for the Japn market and costing more, $1200, no neck bindings. Actually, the GC special for $999 comes in two colors, heritage cherry like pic1 and walnut, more of a dark brown color. Yes, it has a contoured back like wildwoods.

Ok thanks. The reason I thought Guitar center had a satin one too is because that is what their ad(below)says.

"Solid Mahogany body with satin natural finish"

IMG_6967.jpg

The satin finish is the one that was made for the Japn market and costing more, $1200, no neck bindings.

Ok but the one that Musician's Friend is selling has a gloss finish:

"The Les Paul Jr Special Exclusive is finished in either Cherry, Alpine White, or Gloss Yellow.

A gloss finish with 90-sheen lacquer gives the Les Paul Jr Special Exclusive a look that is consistent with its heritage, and a smooth, comfortable playing feel."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought a cherry one yesterday from GC...nice guitar! Fingerboard binding makes it more refined, but the P-90's still have balls. Also, the tuners are the "green key" type instead of the "white button" type...so a little better quality. Fretboard is rosewood instead of the ebony of the $1300 model. Gloss finish instead of satin.

Probably an exclusive including G.Center, M. Friend, and Music-123.

All the same company.

Sometimes those ads are wrong on finishes etc.

I was at a G.Center the other day and played a Cherry gloss finish with neck binding.

Nice guitar.

Went back to visit again today and they got another one in, neck binding, this time in the gloss Walnut finish.

The black P-90's and pickgaurd stand out better against the lighter walnut wood than the Cherry.

Not as dark as the brown faded studio mahogany, more like an old Firebrand type color.

Kinda like this:

http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/GibsonCustomShop/512968.294_sn-762415_back.jpg

Again, nice guitars that let you add some P-90's to your tone arsenal without completely breaking the bank.

Went back to visit again today and they got another one in, neck binding, this time in the gloss Walnut finish.

The black P-90's and pickgaurd stand out better against the lighter walnut wood than the Cherry.

Not as dark as the brown faded studio mahogany, more like an old Firebrand type color.

Kinda like this:

http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/GibsonCustomShop/512968.294_sn-762415_back.jpg

Again, nice guitars that let you add some P-90's to your tone arsenal without completely breaking the bank.

a guy on the LPF has one. Looks nice

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Jr Special with 2 humbuckers in gloss Tobacco Burst. Picked it up at Island Guitars in Honolulu, Hawaii. I checked the web and can only find photos of this model from NAMM. It comes with a bound baked maple fretboard. I actually own several Gibson Les Pauls and only stopped by Island Guitars to see Peter, the on-staff guitar tech who has worked on several of my Les Pauls and one of my PRS. Since my wife was shopping elsewhere, I thought I'd pick up a gutiar and jam a little while Peter helped another customer. I was absolutely amazed at the quality of this guitar...especially with the bound fretboard. When my wife came by, she said "that guitar is beautiful...we need to take that home"...so we did. Jammed it through my Mesa for about 2 hours and really like the tone that comes from it. It came with a gigbag, but thankfully I had an extra SKB Les Paul hardcase, so this baby is now protected. This new model is certainly worth checking out...it's definitely worth the money!

post-40844-018489200 1329640390_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a 2012 Gibson Les Paul Jr Special with 2 humbuckers in gloss Tobacco Burst. Picked it up at Island Guitars in Honolulu, Hawaii. I checked the web and can only find photos of this model from NAMM. It comes with a bound baked maple fretboard. I actually own several Gibson Les Pauls and only stopped by Island Guitars to see Peter, the on-staff guitar tech who has worked on several of my Les Pauls and one of my PRS. Since my wife was shopping elsewhere, I thought I'd pick up a gutiar and jam a little while Peter helped another customer. I was absolutely amazed at the quality of this guitar...especially with the bound fretboard. When my wife came by, she said "that guitar is beautiful...we need to take that home"...so we did. Jammed it through my Mesa for about 2 hours and really like the tone that comes from it. It came with a gigbag, but thankfully I had an extra SKB Les Paul hardcase, so this baby is now protected. This new model is certainly worth checking out...it's definitely worth the money!

Hi, I'm new on this forum. Since I've seen of few pictures of this particular guitar (but in Gloss yellow), I want one, especially because I'm looking for my first LesPaul after having been playing for one year and a half on a Jazzmaster. Do you guys know if the Les Paul Junior Special Humbuckers is to be released soon in Europe? I can't find any further info about it.

Thanks! :)

Archived