Gibson Brands Forums

a choise of stock pups

pbassred

I'm setting up a 2000 Epiphone Les Paul custom for a friend. He has thought that the pups had died but it was just a loose wire. In the meantime he bought some others from Ebay. One is stamped "R Epiphone H" with a sticker "57CH(G) DOT: Neck. bridge LP: neck. (black wire)

The other stamped "F Epiphone " with a sticker "57CH(G) DOT: Neck. bridge LP: neck. (red wire)

It looks like these are both neck pups. In which case, he's been stitched up. If not though, is there any big difference between classic and 57 pups?

if there both neck pickups the one you put in the bridge position mat stick up above the height of the body. as long as its under the pickup ring it wont be a big difference. you may end up liking it that way.usually the pickup cover on the neck pickup is shorter than the bridge one. sometimes there the same height but the pickup ring makes the difference. youll get any change you want to make to them by changing out the capacitors. brighter lower value darker higher value.

I'm setting up a 2000 Epiphone Les Paul custom for a friend. He has thought that the pups had died but it was just a loose wire. In the meantime he bought some others from Ebay.

One is stamped "R Epiphone H" with a sticker "57CH(G) DOT: Neck. bridge LP: neck. (black wire)

The other stamped "F Epiphone " with a sticker "57CH(G) DOT: Neck. bridge LP: neck. (red wire)

It looks like these are both neck pups. In which case, he's been stitched up. If not though, is there any big difference between classic and 57 pups?

What you have are BOTH Pickups from an Epi DOT Guitar. The "R" on the sticker means REAR (NECK),

the "F" on the sticker means FRONT (BRIDGE). They're for the factory workers to know which pup goes where.

I'm assuming that the pups (F and R) are wound slightly differently, resulting in different "Resistance Values".

The 57CH(G) is the typical NECK pup on LPs and G-400 Guitars.

the CORRECT BRIDGE pup is HOTCH(G) for both Lp and G-400.

NO, it is as I said previously. I know because I had the same question

many moons ago.....

FRONT is Bridge

REAR is Neck

What you have are BOTH Pickups from an Epi DOT Guitar. The "R" on the sticker means REAR (NECK),

the "F" on the sticker means FRONT (BRIDGE). They're for the factory workers to know which pup goes where.

I'm assuming that the pups (F and R) are wound slightly differently, resulting in different "Resistance Values".

The 57CH(G) is the typical NECK pup on LPs and G-400 Guitars.

the CORRECT BRIDGE pup is HOTCH(G) for both Lp and G-400.

Archived