Gibson Brands Forums

j160e mystery

TheDoctor

I own a Gibson J160e. The serial number dates it to 1963 - in fact just 99 before Lennon's 1964 replacement guitar. It has a laminated top and the "extra" white circle around the sound hole. I have had it set up and checked over by a luthier and, apart from wear and tear, there appear to be no issues except I noticed that it has 19 frets not 20. I believe that when these were first manufactured in 1954 they had solid spruce tops and 19 frets, but from 1955 they were laminated tops with 20 frets. I am just trying to understand why my guitar has the 1954 style fretboard, and to what extent, if any, this affects its value. Any ideas please? Thank you. Doc

I have a 1954 J-160E, with 19 frets, and the larger bridge adjustment "scews."

It has a solid spruce top, but with the standard (to that era guitar) ladder bracing,

so the "acoustic" sound is not all that great, even with the solid top. It's not

terrible, at all...and does sound very "Beatles" like, in tone...but doesn't come

close to even the current Bozeman (solid top, X bracing) version, that's not the

"Historic" John Lennon version. Still, I wouldn't part with it, not only because of

it's age, and history, but because of it's kind of unique tone.

CB

Have you tried posting this question in the Gibson Acoustics section? someone there might know the answer. I'm not sure how many people who frequent that area of the Forum also come here to The Lounge :-k

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to this site. I've posted something as you suggested.

Archived