Gibson Brands Forums

Original 1960 ES-330TD vs Re-fin 1961 ES-335

whitedogbanana

Hi,

I have recently been offered two vintage gibson guitars.

First one is an all original 1960 ES-330TD in excllent to mint condition. Tobacco Sunburst. I played it and was blown away by the neck pickup. However it does feedback quite easily. The seller wants aroud $6700 for it. Is it a fair price?

The other one is a 1961 ES-335. Again tobacco sunburst, which was refinished by Gibson Custom Shop in the 70's so it looks pretty new. Everything else is original as far as I was told. This guitar is a very sweet sounding guitar (probably because of the original PAFs!) The seller wants $8000 for it.

In a ideal world I would love to have both. My question to you is, since the offer prices of these two guitars are not miles away from each other, which one would you choose based on long-term collection/investment value and playability?

I have a feeling that the ES-330 is slightly over valued based on various online adverts I have seen - but I might be wrong. What would be the fair value if I want to counter-offer the seller? How about the ES-335? After seeing so many ES-335 sold for $15k+, $8k doesn't seem too bad a deal. But I suppose it will not increase its value by much?

Thank you for your input in advance.

Hi there and welcome to the forum !

In my opinion both these guitars are overpriced...they may have some vintage appeal, but can be bought new for less than half the price quoted.

It depends what you want them for...gigging or drooling over !!

The ES330 will feedback at high volumes due to it's hollow construction(it is beautiful though, I have a recent one)

So for Versatility(sic) the ES 335 is more adaptable

In your shoes I would buy both...new...!! [wink]

:-({|=

Allegededly, the refinish is a technical destroyer of V.O.S.s on the 335 and, thus, collector value. Doesn't mean it isn't pretty and doesn't sound great! I suppose it still has the real innards and full center block. I have an original 63 Block Neck ES-335. It is appraised at considerably more than 8k, if that is of any assistance. You say the 330 is original, but I just don't know enough off hand to help you out on that one, except to say it might not be a solid center block. Some 1960 and most all 1961 330s did not have a center block . You mentioned, "feedback" . Answers that one, anyway.

What does a new 335 cost vs. the 1961, maybe 1/3 the price in this particular instance. You will probably get the same difference in sound. But, the refinish makes those dollars look too big to me. Are you sure about the pups? *I think I'd just do some more looking. Got 15k? There is an ES-335 58 Burst that has been sitting around a vintage place in my area for a year or more. Good luck on your decision.

They are both overpriced IMHO and the 335 will always have better resale value, but I like the 330 better. If it feeds back you are playing loud enough to permanently damage your ears so that doesn't affect me. But the beautiful P90 sound gives me eargasms ;-)

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

They both appear to be overpriced... I'd suggest to check other sites (like Ebay) or go to GuitarCenter vintage and use 50%-60% of their pricing. Refinishing lowers the price of the instrument, although ES335 is more popular now-a-days. Also, do not discount the motive of the seller. Is he selling for financial reason? Is he a collector trying to make a little profit? Use this to your advantage to lower the price, close the sale, or go to another seller. Basically, the price is what you are willing to pay and the what the price the seller wants sell.

BTW, I always thought it was just voodoo myth on the playability of old wood instruments; but oldies do resonate quite pronouncely compared to new models...it actually tingles on your arm, ribs, or any part of you body touching the guitar. This was a surprice when I played my 43 year old ES345 that was unplayed for many decades. And yes it could be my aging senior bod; but my other newer ones do not have that resonating wood.

Good luck [thumbup]

They both appear to be overpriced... I'd suggest to check other sites (like Ebay) or go to GuitarCenter vintage and use 50%-60% of their pricing. Refinishing lowers the price of the instrument, although ES335 is more popular now-a-days. Also, do not discount the motive of the seller. Is he selling for financial reason? Is he a collector trying to make a little profit? Use this to your advantage to lower the price, close the sale, or go to another seller. Basically, the price is what you are willing to pay and the what the price the seller wants sell.

BTW, I always thought it was just voodoo myth on the playability of old wood instruments; but oldies do resonate quite pronouncely compared to new models...it actually tingles on your arm, ribs, or any part of you body touching the guitar. This was a surprice when I played my 43 year old ES345 that was unplayed for many decades. And yes it could be my aging senior bod; but my other newer ones do not have that resonating wood.

Good luck [thumbup]

[thumbup] Trust your judgement and your feel. My aging body agrees. It is the quality of the wood and craftsmanship of the era past..

As to value, non mod 63 Block and 64 Dots are presently highest demand ES-335s. That is, "presently". The refinish kills this one. Your post says it well, kaicho.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, i'm new to this forum and pick the thread on the fly. I'm looking forward to date my 330td dot neck. There'is no s.number on the back of the head and no sticker or whatever inside the body.

Do you people have heard about the special 1960 production year when Gibson did not stamp any serial nr or stick any infos on their 330?

Thank you !

best

m_o

Whitedog,

I do not have a bluebook handy to look up the prices, and also I am not too up on the vintage 330 or 335. However a refin usually reduces resale value by 50%, a factory refin, if documented would probably have less of an impact on the price, but still a significant chunk 30-40% probably. Without seeing the guitars or hearing them all we can do is offer vague advice. I guess a big question is what are your intentions for the guitar, buying a keeper to play the rest of your life, or buying something you hope to flip in the future for a profit? I do not know if one is more desireable than the other but the PAFs would definitely be a big consideration if you are looking for an investment. I am not sure what PAFs are going for right now, but they are definitely something of value that will probably grow even if the guitar itself is not a particularly collectible model. In the future you could always sell the PAFs and put in vintage patent number pickups. I only say that because a lot of semi and hollow body Gibsons with PAFs get parted out just for that reason. If you want a keeper then go for the tone and feel that you love best. I would probably try and deal a bit on the price if possible. I will try and find last year's VG price guide and see what I can find out for you. But right now that is all the advice I can give. Good luck.

Archived