Gibson Brands Forums

Been waiting over 3 months for this to be released !

DiamondJig

I finally received my JetCity/THD Picovalve amp head. I ordered this months ago and it's was delayed and delayed, but they final shipped. I've had this amp for a few days now and I'm have a blast. Now this is only a 5 watt head with a 1/2 power switch, preamp/gain, treble, mid and bass tones and a master. The amp has a ton of great sounds in it. There is a ton of gain on tap. The real feature of this amp is you can switch the power tube to nearly any octal base tube, it comes with a 6L6GT and 2 12AX7's which sound nice, I've swapped the preamp tubes for some tung-sol's and have tried a 5881, KT66, EL34, 6V6 and a EL84 via THD yellow jacket. They all sound and behave differently. Great amp.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/2009/09/18/pico-valve

PICO-Crop_Centered_490W1.jpg

I like this amp, it is interesting, I was looking at a THD before I bought my Mesa.

I like 12AX7 Tung-Sols, simply superior, I like the linearity of the response and clarity.

JJ's are Ok but I am not 100% convinced, I know for a fact that my Mesa does not sound the same after I added JJ's on the power section. The original Mesa tubes sounded exceptionally clear, JJ's not so much overdrive/distortion are bit muddy.

Congrats; I see you also have an egnater tourmaster. I've had mine for almost a year and still have'nt plugged it in; Been addicted to my Renegade. I've been trying to decide between the PICO and their JCA20H. Gonna get both eventually. I'm surprised that you have already tried it with all those different tubes! Must be great to skip the biasing...Do you have any opinion on the egnater Tweaker? 5 watts gets pretty loud. Glad you like it...Which power tubes sound best in your opinion, and which are you going to use on a regular basis? The prices on Jet Cities are so darn reasonable.......Once again, congrats.......

Congrats; I see you also have an egnater tourmaster. I've had mine for almost a year and still have'nt plugged it in; Been addicted to my Renegade. I've been trying to decide between the PICO and their JCA20H. Gonna get both eventually. I'm surprised that you have already tried it with all those different tubes! Must be great to skip the biasing...Do you have any opinion on the egnater Tweaker? 5 watts gets pretty loud. Glad you like it...Which power tubes sound best in your opinion, and which are you going to use on a regular basis? The prices on Jet Cities are so darn reasonable.......Once again, congrats.......

I only have the tourmaster 2x12 cabinet, I'm currently running the Pico into one 12 and my VHT (another 5 watter) into the other 12. Both sound great, great cab, has a removable back, but I like the closed back better in my small room. The Pico is great for a small room studio, many great sounds in it, so far my fav is a tung-sol 5881, just something about it. Yes it's great to just power down swap a tube then back on and play'n. The Pico has a tone of gain on tap, but keeping it down and cranking the master gets the power tube cook'n and with a tube screamer/OD it adds to the many tones. I've had the tweaker twice and both times i returned it, I wanted to like that amp to work so bad, it does as it's names says but, it just wasn't for me, don't know why but we just didn't match. I use to have a THD Bivalve 30 I picked up at a great price. The Pico is like a mini THD, great build and features. I've had a few of the small 5watt tubers Blackstar, Blackheart, VHT and so far the Pico is my Fav.

I only have the tourmaster 2x12 cabinet, I'm currently running the Pico into one 12 and my VHT (another 5 watter) into the other 12. Both sound great, great cab, has a removable back, but I like the closed back better in my small room. The Pico is great for a small room studio, many great sounds in it, so far my fav is a tung-sol 5881, just something about it. Yes it's great to just power down swap a tube then back on and play'n. The Pico has a tone of gain on tap, but keeping it down and cranking the master gets the power tube cook'n and with a tube screamer/OD it adds to the many tones. I've had the tweaker twice and both times i returned it, I wanted to like that amp to work so bad, it does as it's names says but, it just wasn't for me, don't know why but we just didn't match. I use to have a THD Bivalve 30 I picked up at a great price. The Pico is like a mini THD, great build and features. I've had a few of the small 5watt tubers Blackstar, Blackheart, VHT and so far the Pico is my Fav.

Thanks for the reply; Some don't like the Tweaker, haven't tried it yet; I don't leave home...Gonna get the Jet City JCA 112 combo first, only because it's 299 at MF, then the Pico, gotta have one..I do have the Tourmaster Head and cabinet...Monster amp...Thank you.....[thumbup]

Archived