Gibson Brands Forums

What I am learning on my 339

G McBride

I had my eighth lesson last night. I have started taking my 339 with me for the past three weeks. I have not had music lessons since HIgh School and I am learning or relearning a lot of terminology.

I have a great instructor that plays many styles of music. His mission in life now is to make me a lead guitar player after many, many years as a rhythm player. Last night he wanted me to play lead and says do you remember this, and started playing Godzilla. Next up on the list is going to be a Pink Floyd song from the Wall, Young Lust. I think then is Whole Lotta Love and then Roadhouse Blues.

I am having a great time and learning as we go. We can't just play a song, we have to play it right and understand every detail. Because I have played for so many years, my instructor throws a lot of stuff at me in a half an hour so that I have a lot to work on when I come back the next week. If I come back too well practiced he will throw in something different just to challenge me.

I hope the rest of you that are old dogs learning new tricks are having as much fun as I am learning.

Gill

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Studio LP, SG Standard, Nighthawk, LP Jr., LP Special DC, and a couple of other Gibson Electric guitars. Out of the lot, I really gravitate back to this guitar when ever I play. The Gibson 339 is a great guitar that everyone should try.

You are right, it is nice taking lessons on this guitar. I have been playing for over 40 years and never had a lesson until this year. I thought with all the nice guitars that I have accumulated that I should improve my playing to the best of my abilities.

Archived