Gibson Brands Forums

String tree on a sheraton?

delek 99

I have an epiphone sheraton and i wanted to put a string tree on the headstock, just for the D and the G strings to come up straightish from the nut to minimise binding.

any clues as to what string tree i could use (and where i could get it), that wouldnt affect the string on the edge of the string tree going up to the tuning peg? maybe a roller type or round edged tree [confused]

I'd bet you would have as many if not more problems with binding with a string tree. And it would devalue your guitar having a hole in the headstock.

Have you tried the usual clean-up tricks for the nut? Run a folded piece of 1000 grit wet-and-dry through the slots (gently). Scrape the lead (graphite) from a soft pencil into the slots before dropping the strings back in.

If those still don't do it, get a bone nut cut for you by a tech. It would cost about £40 and would preserve the value of your guitar, preserve the looks of the headstock, and give you peace of mind that you had done the right thing and not bodged it. If your nut is binding then it might still be binding even with a string tree behind it. Don't do it!

i was assuming if i got the strings to go straighter to the pegs reducing the angle of the string at the nut that thats what would help but reading what youve said ive changed my mind:) i got a bone nut ready to be slotted but im thinking graph tech nut heard lots of good things about them. anythings gotta be better than the piece of plastic i have in it at the moment i do hav the pencil graphite under the strings, thanks for the heads up vomer

i was assuming if i got the strings to go straighter to the pegs reducing the angle of the string at the nut that thats what would help but reading what youve said ive changed my mind:) i got a bone nut ready to be slotted but im thinking graph tech nut heard lots of good things about them. anythings gotta be better than the piece of plastic i have in it at the moment i do hav the pencil graphite under the strings, thanks for the heads up vomer

Put one of the Tusq nuts from GraphTech on, it won't only fix the problem, you'll probably notice better sustain at the same time.

Archived