Gibson Brands Forums

Brought a Epiphone....

Adams4England

Hi guys,

I bought a epiphone les paul of ebay, well ive got it as a xmas present from my sis and i wanted to see when it was made but cant find a serial number?

the guy said it was made in the 80's and that the serial numbers was not around then?

i just wanted to know from the experts is this true?

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg

this is the pics of the guitar

thanks guys :-D

Wow....interesting.

I know there was a Epi LP model very early on, that had a bolt on neck and bound body....I think it was called a Les Paul 300.

But that body shape looks a bit off for a Les Paul. I am wondering about the possibility the Epi neck was placed on a different body (?)

That neck sure looks like a 70's Matsumoku, but there's nothing I can find in the Epi catalogs that remotely resembles a Les Paul until 1989, except the Genesis and Scroll in '79 & '80.

There's a big gap between 1983 and 1992 - apparently only two catalogs issued in Carter's History of Epiphone - one in 1986 and one in 1989.

The '89 catalog shows a Les Paul Custom and a Standard, but says nothing about either having a bolt-on neck. I think those were the first years of the Epi set-neck LPs.

How does it play? Does it sound good? that all it matter if the quality is there and you have a nice sound. who cares who build it. I would be dissapointed if insted of a real Gibson a got a copy for the price of a real gibson but in the price range of an use epiphone if it's a copy and it sound good enjoy it.

Dennis

It's clearly a replacement neck. The body is cut for a 22 fret neck, but currently has a 21 fret Epiphone neck.

The cutaway shape and the binding reminds me of a Bradley LP copy.

I have no idea what you've got there, but it's certainly interesting.

Another clue is that the binding on the neck does not match the body binding.

Archived