Gibson Brands Forums

Finally Getting Things Buttoned Back Up...

AnthemBassMan

-Yep. After sitting torn apart for most of the year, I'm finally on the way to getting my Lester Classic Quilt Top put back together. My Wife ordered me a nickel plated GFS Mean 90 neck p'up for it as a belated birthday present. I'm leaving the double black, DiMarzio Virtual PAF in the bridge. Going for an old school look when guitarists would replace the bridge p'up with a Super Distortion and leave the neck stock. I still have to finish soldering the wiring, but it's on it's way. But right now I'm deciding on whether or not to order a new Gotoh bridge before I finish it. Also tossing around the idea of Grover Sta-Tite tuners too. Anyone here have experience with the Sta-Tites? Anyhow, here's a couple pics with the new p'up in.

061.jpg

057.jpg

L8R,

Matt

-Well, I finally had time today and got my Classic finished. I tell you what, that Mean 90 has a sweet round tone to it. Even rounder than a fat Strat neck p'up. Also this thing a dead quiet! And I mean DEAD quiet. I was tweaking the setup in our dining room. Above the table we have a 5 lamp chandelier with those mini CFL bulbs in it. Not a single buzz or noise came from it at all. Now THAT is one quiet single coil. Here's the finished product. I'm going to have to get a new set of strings though. The shop didn't have the ones I like, so I had to get the Ernie Ball regular Slinkys. I usually use the Classic Power Slinkys. I just like the feel and tone of a pure nickel string. But at least she is strung up, wired up, and ready to go. Now to just get my butt busy on my 1st gen VJ amp. I did the usual mods when they first came out, but I have the parts and turret board to convert it to the Suprolicious mod. Did anyone ever say this was addicting?!?!?

S6300983.jpg

S6300981.jpg

S6300980.jpg

L8R,

Matt

Archived