Gibson Brands Forums

Peavey Windsor 15W Combo

albertjohn

Folks

Saw one of these for a very good price yesterday.

Been looking at the following possibilities as well:

Fender Blues Junior

Laney 15W Combo

Jet City 333 20W Combo

For occasional gig use with my Highway 1 Strat HSS. Looking for that vintagy strat sound rather than metal. The bridge humbucker gives a great kick!

Bit concerned that with all of the above the clean sound is reportedly weak.

Any views/pointers? Which one would you choose?

Cheers

Actually have a friend that has a Windsor head and its a great amp; some serious tone out of it into a 4X12. If possible I would hook up your guitar into it and play the amp. Peavey stuff is less expensive than most of the established amps out there but some of their products are made like tanks and will last forever. I am unsure about this but I believe the Windsor line is not American made and is a built in china amp like the Vampyr amps. I know the 6505, JSX and the Classic's are made right here in Mississippi.

Thanks Guitarest. Yes the Windsor in Chinese built. Looks and feels pretty solid though.

John, I'm getting a Jet City in days, that same one (well, the JCA2112 combo) , and I like it. Never played any Laneys...I started out with Fenders years ago (we're the same age) but switched to other brands, and have never been able to like their sound since, except for the 4X10 DeVilles. I prefer class AB amps even for clean tones. Never tried the Winsor but have always had good luck with Peavey amps. The quality of Chinese made tube amps is usually very good, with the main difference being when we can we buy American made; but you're in England so you don't have that moral dilemma. You might try Egnater amps if they have those there...

This is probably not much help, but may add a bit for your thoughts.......

I just checked out the Winsor online, and I would buy one even without trying it out. It is perfect for what you want; GREAT features, and I've never not liked a Peavey amp.....

And yes, they are on sale right now, 399.00 U.S. dollars.. Your poll seems to favor the Fender..Hmmmmm.

Thanks Guitarest and Damien.

Yes, the poll certainly favours the Fender by a long way. But you are completely correct about the Peavey. Great value and features.

Going to try and find the time to rest it over the next week or so, with my Highway 1 Strat.

Like you Damien, I do like the thought of buying (in my case) a British built amp: the Laney, but in all honesty, it's not my top priority.

Incidentally, all 3 of my "top end" guitars have been built in the USA! [thumbup]

Guitarist mag over here in the UK have just reviewed the Jet City Combo and given it a resounding thumbs up. Sorry no online content from them. They have some in the same shop that I will test the Peavey, so will have a go on one as well.

Archived