Gibson Brands Forums

b grade epiphone les pauls are they fakes ?

ronskie

Anyway Ronskie.....

What are you getting and where from......Guitar Guitar? They are a good store, IMO.

Alan

Just getting another epiphone les paul standard but cheaper lol as in the cheaper ebony one but I prefer the solid finish anyway, I think, wait and see what I think when I see it! I am a total beginner by the way. People here tending to forget that as if I should be a epiphone/ gibson guru or something. I am on low income and a beginner so people like me easier to fool as far as fakes etc go. In saying that I did know about fakes as I did my research and I was wary of the price but it being amazon it swaid me to go for it.

I am getting new guitar from g.a.k. delivered wednesday. I am getting a 20 foot lead and epiphone solid body interior guitar bag free for 280.00 so I think that's a good deal with no delivery charge. Got my epiphone special 2 from them too and it came next day. I actually like my epiphone special 2, get some nice tones and sustain out of it for such a cheap guitar, anyway the epiphone les paul standard for a beginner like me is way good enough for my needs, next year to get a decentish amp I think! my amp is one that came with a fender type guitar years ago, think my then girlfriend bought it off the shopping channel lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you'll be happy with an Ebony Standard. That's what I have and she's a very sweet guitar. Don't apologize for being a beginner, so am I. I've just gotten back into playing after more than 30 years and money doesn't flow like water around my place either. I was lucky to find a used Standard with a hard case for $275 and it was a great deal. I did do a lot of research before buying though and made sure that what I bought was the real thing. Being able to check it out in person was a great advantage.

The Ebony will drive you nuts trying to keep the fingerprints off of it in the beginning but after a while you'll realize there ain't nothing you can do about it. Just have fun and enjoy playing your new guitar!

I think you'll be happy with an Ebony Standard. That's what I have and she's a very sweet guitar. Don't apologize for being a beginner, so am I. I've just gotten back into playing after more than 30 years and money doesn't flow like water around my place either. I was lucky to find a used Standard with a hard case for $275 and it was a great deal. I did do a lot of research before buying though and made sure that what I bought was the real thing. Being able to check it out in person was a great advantage.

The Ebony will drive you nuts trying to keep the fingerprints off of it in the beginning but after a while you'll realize there ain't nothing you can do about it. Just have fun and enjoy playing your new guitar!

thanks barcham, I knew about the smudges on the ebony having done a bit of research on it before choosing it and yes it will drive me mad at first lol I got confused at first between the standard, plaintop and plustop, couldn't see what the difference was and of course it's just the finish that different. Think I will buy one of the washburn pro series guitars next year or however long it takes to compliment it. Don't want to have too may guitars though because I can't see me ever selling the special 2 because would get virtually nothing for it and it's a nice guitar(one I have anyway) and the cheap shopping channel strat type one I have I would be lucky to get 20 pounds for as they are selling a strat guitar in the supermarket here for 60 pounds and that's with amp and strap etc, great bargain for a beginner, especially a child. so got three guitars now(when new one comes wednesday)and don't know how I got to this point as it is but think I will have fun with the new one for sure.

Your Gibson dealer in Glasgow doesnt know what he's talking about. Yes, the open tops are supposed to be there. Its more likely that a closed top "p" and "o" are more indicative of a counterfeit. And the quality of the Epiphone inlay is really no measure for determining authenticity. We've seen genuine Epiphones with logo inlays that looked like a 3rd grade art class cut them out. The QC on the logo inlays is minimal at best. Of course, positioning is a little bit of a different matter.

N_lpstudiofeat4.jpg

yesss the logo is off the knobs are off and the serial dont look right, its dark then its lighter huh! dont trust amazon, I saw a ace frehley there and how can they sell a new guitar thats been out of production? I contacted the seller to send pics of the serial # and he never did fake!!

just to add my two cents, If i was going to copy a guitar, i would make sure the logo was in the right place, and that all the other bit's n bobs were where they should be, then use cheap sh!t hardware and pick-ups. These guitars that have squint logo's and misaligned parts but are sporting proper Epi hardware, are far more likely to be seconds or rejects from the Epi factory. ..

Unless there is a copycat factory somewhere (with no quality control), knocking out bodies and necks and furnishing them with misappropriated Epi hardware ?? either way they are illegal and should not be sold on sites like Amazon who are supposed to be trusted.

I hope you enjoy your new guitar [thumbup] [thumbup]

just to add my two cents, If i was going to copy a guitar, i would make sure the logo was in the right place, and that all the other bit's n bobs were where they should be, then use cheap sh!t hardware and pick-ups. These guitars that have squint logo's and misaligned parts but are sporting proper Epi hardware, are far more likely to be seconds or rejects from the Epi factory. ..

A very good point!

Archived