Gibson Brands Forums

2010 LPR8 Lemon burst

blacksmith

I just bought a 2010 LPR8 in lemon burst at the House of Guitars in Rochester New York....Great place and great people working there!!! After I lowered the action to where I like it, very low, and it plays muddy. I also lowered the pickups after hearing the sound and I'm still getting muddy tone.....I can switch back to my 78 standard bone stock and it roars like you would expect from a Marshall...btw...I'm playing through a 76 Marshall non master volume 100 watt head with 1972 angled 4x12 cabinet with stock 25 watt greenbacks. I use a Vox Saturator to get the over driven tones at volumes I can handle.

After putting out over $3000.00 for it, I really want to like it, but at this point, I'd rather sell it [crying] and get another 1970's standard. I don't want to start swapping out pickups on it either. I'd have bought a less expensive les paul if I wanted to do that.....Has anybody experienced this? I'll get some pictures up soon, its a real nice looking Les Paul.

Thanks,

Mark

How much did you lower your pickups? Did you keep the same distance from the strings to the pickups as before? I've lowered the action on all my Gibbies and also lowered the pickups accordingly. I've never had a case where I couldn't get them to sound good and not muddy. I don't know, maybe just keep experimenting with the pickup height until you get it right?

Was it OK before you changed the action?

I think it was, but I'm not certain. Thats a great question. I was using a high gain amp when I demoed it and it sounded good. The action was way too high at that point for my liking.....I'll mess with it tomorrow and see what I some up with....

thanks,

Mark

I have recently purchased G0.. It has the same pup's my R9 had. When I first plugged her into my amp it sounded way too muddy and boomy.. Thought there was something wrong with my Amp but it just required some major changes to my amp settings.. All sorted and singing now... Same pups req different settings...

Regards

I got it all sorted out. There were many things to adjust.....changed pickup height and string height on the guitar, raised it a little. On the Marshall head I changed the bass, presence and treble settings. On the TC Electronics chorus pedal I changed the gain setting back to zero from about 3 or so.....now it sounds great! I started by getting the guitar dialed in on a Savage Macht12X with the amp set clean. Then moved on to the amp without any pedals, then added in pedals......now I couldn't be happier and am going back to the House of Guitars next Tuesday to look at another LPR that caught my eye when I bought this one...... Thanks for the help!!!!

Archived