Gibson Brands Forums

SG '61 Tenon

Flamed Froggy

I have an old SG reissue from 1989. In 1989 it was called Reissue '62. I noticed that it has a long tenon. Is it the same on current reissue '61. I don't talk about historic collection model cos I know it's a long tenon. I'm talking about the reissue '61 Made in USA. Any pics maybe ?

• 4 weeks later...

Some people say a long neck tenone will make for more wood-to-wood contact between the neck and body. The neck sits just a little deeper in the pocket.

It is hard to prove such a thing, but the long neck tenon has become a beloved spec for vintage and Custom Shop friends.

well, I think the purpose of the longer tenon is like said above, more wood to wood contact. This means more surface area for glue, and more strength as well, so you should have a more solid joint and less worry of failure. The thin necks on these SG's still makes for movement, but this doesn't mean they're not strong. The movement is cool, in my opinion, especially when doing some soloing or making some noise. It is fun to have a bit of trem effect when doing this. You don't want to push to hard though, as you can break em, as with any guitar you bend the neck on.

I think a lot of guys, (who've not spent much time with the 61's and just participate in forum talk)like to talk about the neck joint as being weak and tend to give the 61 a negative for this. But, it just simply isn't true. One of the great things about the 61' is the neck design. I picked mine over the standard for the neck #1 among other things...pickups, small pickguard, larger headstock, etc.

bottom line...they're great instruments second only to the custom shops, and that is a stretch, as I think the quality on the 61's is every bit as good as the custom shop guitars.

• 4 weeks later...

Here, here! I love my '61 neck joint! Major plus feature for me too. And if it did ever break ( and I dont see any reason it should), I'd still go out and buy another one. '61 is my favorite SG. Can't say enough about all the cool features it has.

Amen and a +1..........Gibson if you're reading, don't change a thing on the 61' reissues!!

Archived