Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dove, Hummingbird, J200

Grob

Hey, just registered today. I like the look of the Epi J200, Hummingbird and Dove. I like the decoration. The Dove seems to be the cheapest and looks potentially the best value for money (Solid top, the top doesn't look like it has a thick finish from the pics I see online). The J200 dissapoints a little because of the "select spruce" laminate (not bashing, but for the money a solid top Hummingbird seems better value, or dove). Just want to know what some of your opinions are or experiences. I've read through numerous older posts on here, but want to get an opinion on the current epi's (I'm looking at new rather than on ebay)

Thanks in advance,

G

Welcome! You seem to have done a bit of research, but here's a bit of opinion:

hbird vs dove- dove has maple back and sides, hbird has mahogany, so hbird is going to be a little less chimey. my hummingbird has darkened up a little bit since Ive had it. both have solid tops, but the finish is pretty thick on both, so you never know whats going to come of it.

j200- laminate, but not the worst ones. some people seem to love theirs. i always think the sound is unbalanced, but YMMV.

if you want a solid bodied guitar with a thin finish, check out masterbilts. you can usually get a used one in a similar price range to the aforementioned guitars. I like them a lot, but felt a little too thin for my preferences, as i wanted a bit of a beater that would stand up to bumps and scrapes.

good luck, and let us know when you get a NGD!

I have a month old EJ-200 in the natural finish. I know what the specs say about it being laminated and all that. I know I'm not supposed to expect much from a two hundred dollar guitar. I know it should never improve with age.

Then I forget all that because it's loud, boomy like a jumbo should be and sets up to play as easily as any of my Martins or Taylors. My Taylor 315ce jumbo is actually a little more balanced while the Epi is equally loud, but more bass oriented.

I initially bought it to be my camping, beach, traveling beater. I like it so much I'm looking for something else now because I don't want to take it out of the house.

I friend of mine just bought the Hummingbird Ltd Artist and is thrilled with it. Among the whole list you might want to consider, think about the AJ-200, AJ-220 and the Hum Ltd Artist. All good guitars if you get a store where they have reasonably new strings on them so it's a fair chance to judge.

This thread got me thinking. I had picked up a nice sounding Breedlove guitar the other day, but the setup was impossible. Once I straightened the neck, the action was still so high that the saddle would have needed grinding down. I don't mind doing that kind of work, but I'm not going to do it on a new guitar, so I returned it. I showed them how it pulled sharp around the 9th fret onwards up the neck and their tech even speculated that the neck might not be glued in at the proper angle.

They didn't have the same model in stock to see if there was a difference, so I started looking again and decided on the Epi Hummingbird Ltd. Artist I mentioned before.

We worked with 5 in stock to pick the best one, not that any of them were actually so different other than from old to new strings. I selected a brown sunburst and brought it home.

Don't you just love happy endings?

I was just at my local Guitar Center and played each of these models. I was looking for an inexpensive guitar I would leave out of its case more than my Larrivees. I thought the Dove and Hummingbird were OK, but I was pleasantly surprised by the EJ-200 Artist. I didn't think I wanted another Jumbo (already have a Larrivee Jumbo) but I couldn't get the Epi EJ-200 off my mind after I played it. So I went back the next day and played it again, and I knew I had to have it, and that it was a great value: easy to play, lots of delicious bass, great price, and it looked great too (natural finish). I know that the lam top means that it won't necessarily get better sounding as time goes on, but it sounds good NOW, so I am one happy camper with my new EJ-200. I changed strings to a set of DR Sunbeams (12-54s) I had on hand and it sounds sweet. Perhaps someday I'll upgrade the saddle to bone, but for now I am just very pleased. When I first saw that all the new non-Masterbilt epi's where now made in Indonesia, I was surprised and a bit disappointed (I thought the China plant was getting up to speed?). But after I played it and inspected it carefully, I was so impressed with its build quality that I changed my attitude fast. Now I would recommend them to anyone interested in this level of guitar.

By the way, most of the epi's at Guitar Center had horrendous strings (I mean the corrosion was think and scratchy) and were way out of tune. Yuck. Most of the factory setups were surprisingly good, though, and the sales people were friendly and knowledgeable, FWIW.

if you think they sound bad why do you have two of them?

I always played electric bought the ej thought it was OK then bought the 300,Then bought a Washburn on stupid

deal of the day from Musician Friend for 1/2 the price, couldn't believe how much better the Washburn sounded and played.The $150 Washburns now come with bone nut and saddle and solid top.Never had to adjust the neck or grind down the saddle,Even on my Washburn J6.You can go to heavy strings and the neck doesn't bend,So they must have a stronger neck.I do have a Epiphone masterbilt DR Rosewood which is good.But anyone I play them for like the sound of the Washburns even over the Masterbilt.

I personally ascribe to the playability side of things. I even tried a Washburn 335 "clone." Never was happy with the neck. The Dot I ended up with brought an instant bond. That's not to say the Dot is all that much better in some ways, perhaps, but rather that it "fit" how I like a neck.

So I'd say I like Epi/Gibson necks, the thinner ones.

The specifics of tone are so subjective too...

I always figure if I like playing the guitar, regardless of type, it'll sound better...

m

My EJ200 is what got me playing an acoustic guitar. I tried the Hummingbird and thought it sounded a bit dead. The EJ on the other hand sounded alive and boomy. It's a slighty longer scale length too - 25 1/2" vs. 24 3/4. The action is very low too and easy to play, even with the big beefy neck. As far as the laminated vs. solid top goes, with both being poly, I don't believe either one would be better than the other. Sides and back on both are laminated, so the woods wouldn't make that much difference in sound. It's the different sizes that have the most affect on the tones. They're both budget guitars. It's up to your ears to decide which one sounds and feels better. You might want to stand across the room and have someone else play them so you can hear what others will be hearing when you play. It might surprise you.

I'm not as concerned about low humidity either with the EJ, because it is laminated. And with this size top, that's a good thing, so it doesn't split. This thing is bullet proof.

I will add to the Masterbilt. They are amazing and should be priced way higher. All solid and bone nuts. The Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M, you can get for about $350 used. No less though probably. Otherwise, may you can find a used Epiphone Texan re-issue which in my opinion would be your best deal. ;) They are also all soild and bone nut.

Welcome! You seem to have done a bit of research, but here's a bit of opinion:

hbird vs dove- dove has maple back and sides, hbird has mahogany, so hbird is going to be a little less chimey. my hummingbird has darkened up a little bit since Ive had it. both have solid tops, but the finish is pretty thick on both, so you never know whats going to come of it.

j200- laminate, but not the worst ones. some people seem to love theirs. i always think the sound is unbalanced, but YMMV.

if you want a solid bodied guitar with a thin finish, check out masterbilts. you can usually get a used one in a similar price range to the aforementioned guitars. I like them a lot, but felt a little too thin for my preferences, as i wanted a bit of a beater that would stand up to bumps and scrapes.

good luck, and let us know when you get a NGD!

Archived