Gibson Brands Forums

Line 6 Pod vs FX pedals

daveinspain

My first FX unit was a line 6 Pocket Pod. I didn't even have an amp at the time, I was just plugging into my studio mixer and using the built in FX of the mixer. So as you might imagine the pocket pod sounded really good. It was giving me good distortion and chorus sounds, verb delay....etc. Then I got my amp and decided I wanted something on the floor to stomp on. After looking around a bit I settled on the Boss ME-50. I was using that at band rehearsals and it's a great sounding all inclusive board.

One day I decided to pull out the Pocket Pod again. Only this time I ran it through my amp... The line 6 pod units comes with editing software for editing and storing your own patches. I went ahead and made a custom patch for every tune we play in my band, sounded great at home in my studio.

So I take my new set up to rehearsal one Thursday night... New set up, Amp, computer, stand for the computer, Pocket Pod, volume pedal, 2 extra 1/4 inch patch cords, usb cable and usb extension cable. Then 15 minutes extra set up and tweeking time. I thought I was going to blow the other band members away but instead it was a big FAIL...!

What sounded great at home in the studio sound thin and artificial with the band. Rehearsal sucked that day... So now it's back to My Boss pedal board, two 1/4 inch cables, my amp and my guitar.... Pods cool though for practicing with head phones or small studio monitors at low volume...

I hate it when that happens. Something sounds awesome at home then it sucks when you bust it out in front of your friends.

Analog stompboxes are the only way to go for me. There are a few digital pedals that I really like but I'm not a fan of multifx boards. They're convinient and much cheaper though I'll give them that

I agree with most effects units, on the X3 and the Xt they allow for on-site easy editing while at the gig or studio. Sounds like a EQ issue to me.

Agreed....I have used my XT live mostly at church...plug straight into a direct box to PA. Decent into an amp but I still prefer tube distortion.

Archived