Gibson Brands Forums

Three SGs

epi-curious

First time poster here. I recently aquired three SG models - a Gibson SG special, a black G-400 (EE) and a 66 reissue in Heritage Cherry. They're all fine guitars. I'm looking to replace the stock pickups in one of the G400s and wondered if anyone here had experience with either the 59 Vintage or Alnico II pickups from GFS in a G400.

Thanks.

Epi-curious,

Welcome to the forum! Pics are a must.

Like Dawg, I have a set of GFS Vintage 59s in a Les Paul.

To me they sounds very much like the original epiphone pickups except that there is a noticeable clarity and definition to them that is missing with the Epi pickups.

As to the Alnico II....I will take Dawg's word for it. I have read good reviews.

Willy

I'm really starting to get curious about these GFS pickups. New pickups are on my Christmas list and I want to get the Gibson 57 Classic/Classic Plus combo, but they ain't cheap as you all know. I could get a set of these GFS pups for cheaper than one 57 classic. I don't know though, the GFS pickups all seem to say that they have "more bottom end". I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. Does "more bottom end" secretly mean "more muddy than a 57 Classic"? lol

I'm really starting to get curious about these GFS pickups. New pickups are on my Christmas list and I want to get the Gibson 57 Classic/Classic Plus combo, but they ain't cheap as you all know. I could get a set of these GFS pups for cheaper than one 57 classic. I don't know though, the GFS pickups all seem to say that they have "more bottom end". I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. Does "more bottom end" secretly mean "more muddy than a 57 Classic"? lol

Can't say about how the humbuckers stack up against the Gibsons but my experience with the bridge position dog-ear P90 is that it's not muddy.

Archived