Gibson Brands Forums

Chrome Frets Tarnishing

zigzag

I just got a Carvin SH550- fabulous guitar! When it arrived, I noticed that the chrome frets were a yellow/green tint. I took it to a luthier for a set-up, and he cleaned the frets with alcohol. He said they were a nice, clean silvery look when he got thru, but after he put it back into the case, overnight, the frets had turned back to that yellowish/greenish look. The case has a very high odor, and I suspect that whatever is causing the odor is tarnishing the chrome frets. Anyone else seen this before? Anyone have any recommendations about how to handle this?

If it's a brand new guitar/case there may be residual glue and varnish solvents and curing chemicals around which could oxidise the fretwire somewhat

An obvious approach is to 'air' the case thoroughly and only keep the guitar in it's case for transportation until the problem is resolved

I have an archtop which is over a year old and still smells strongly of varnish whenever the case is opened

V

:-({|=

I just got a Carvin SH550- fabulous guitar! When it arrived, I noticed that the chrome frets were a yellow/green tint. I took it to a luthier for a set-up, and he cleaned the frets with alcohol. He said they were a nice, clean silvery look when he got thru, but after he put it back into the case, overnight, the frets had turned back to that yellowish/greenish look. The case has a very high odor, and I suspect that whatever is causing the odor is tarnishing the chrome frets. Anyone else seen this before? Anyone have any recommendations about how to handle this?

Probably the nickle. It tarnishes that color. It is probably reacting to your body chemistry. Only way to avoid it is to install stainless frets. Chrome too will retain it's appearance, but I don't know if they make chrome plated frets. Short of a fret change, you're going to have to live with it.

Yes TK, you are probably right about the nickel. The options I had were standard or stainless, but the hardware options were nickel, chrome and gold. When I specified chrome hardware, I assumed it included fret wire. The color change would seem to be too rapid for body chemistry, and the guitar arrived that way, plus it happened after the luthier polished them. Just seems to happen too rapidly and to too many people for it to be related to body chemistry. I don't mind living with it as long as it doesn't significantly reduce fret life.

While I can understand your confusion, that fret wire should be considered hardware. For the purposes of guitar accouterments, fret wire is not hardware. Think about it. If you ordered golden hardware, the fret wire is not golden.

Archived