Gibson Brands Forums

Dead Blues Custom 30

capn_gaz

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone with knowledge of the blues custom 30 might be able to help me - I know some great people have made the helpful blues custom 30 mods topic so hope maybe one of those guy might see this!

The other day I went to play through my amp, turned it on, left it on stand by for a bit then flipped it to play. Upon flicking onto play the amp did its usual little hum but then buzzed for about 2 seconds then all sound stopped, including the hum. Since then its not made any sound.

At first i thought it was just the valves as they looked to have blown so changed out the 6l6's. Started it up today though with new ones in and nothing, swapped the 12AX7's and still nothing.

When I start the amp up all the valves glow as normal but i just get no sound. I've checked the fuses and they look fine.

Does anybody have any idea of what could be up with it?

(Just incase anyone was going to ask - the speaker cable and guitar are definately plugged in [rolleyes] )

Cheers,

Gareth

I do not own one of these amps, but from a quick look at the schematic....

1. You cannot tell if a fuse is good by looking at it. You must test it for continuity

2. Looks like these amps have a rectifier tube. If it is bad, your heaters will glow but you will not have any B+. Try a new recto tube.

3. Looks like there is a fuse for the recto tube and for B+ If you cannot test them, just replace them. Make sure they are Slo-Blo.

There are other things, but you might start with those.....

Good Luck

Standby switch failure. Test for HT getting to the board.

It does not need a standby switch.

For some reason they used a mains switch for a >320V HT supply. Mine literally exploded out of the back of the switch. Prior to that it had been going open-circuit on loud stuff at high volume (which draws more power), lots of nasty buzzing and crackling noises, then BANG! - silence.

Bypass the switch (and fit a master volume in the hole:-) [thumbup] Much easier to play at low volume then.

Archived