Gibson Brands Forums

Laney VH100R Tube Question

Jeikka

Hello everyone

I just bought a VH100R and I love it! I just have a question that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere. Underneath the vent on the top of the head there is some kind of plastic(ish) mesh. A couple of strands were loose and have melted onto 2 of the output tubes, leaving the tubes with a thin streak of melted plastic on the glass. I tried very gently to get a bit off but it's stuck quite firmly to the tubes. Is this a problem or nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone

I just bought a VH100R and I love it! I just have a question that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere. Underneath the vent on the top of the head there is some kind of plastic(ish) mesh. A couple of strands were loose and have melted onto 2 of the output tubes, leaving the tubes with a thin streak of melted plastic on the glass. I tried very gently to get a bit off but it's stuck quite firmly to the tubes. Is this a problem or nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance

That is a heck of a nice amp...If any of my advice is wrong, I'll be corrected.......Take it back to the shop. Never touch hot tubes, but you know this. Also, do not leave finger grease on tubes, when the tubes heat up it may make the tubes shatter...If the plastic melted anywhere on the tube sockets, have your amp looked at by a pro.....Is it possible that you mismatched the ohms ??? This may have run your amp too hot and caused the melting. Laney amps are expensive and this should not have happened...It may be advisable to replace the power tubes; not quite sure..Others might know.....Always warm up the tubes first (standby switch)...If you replace the power tubes use a matched pair, and remember that different brands will sound different, often by miles.....Make sure that the amp has breathing room...Hope this helps...And yes, it is something to worry about.....

I'd been playing the amp for a while before I realised what had happened and there didn't seem to be any immediate problem, but you're right, I really should get it looked at.

Thanks for your help everyone, if anyone has any other ideas/experienced a similar problem, please let me know [thumbup]

Archived