Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for my ax

A.J.

I'm sure if you just google "best aftermarket pickup" or "best pickup for Les Paul" or "best PAF clone" you'll get more than enough choices. Then it's up to you to decide which one to get. I don't like shopping for pickups because it's really a crap shoot. They give you a short demo video of what the pickups sound like but all you're really hearing is an amp. Be nice if they did before/after clips.

Having said that, I've blindly (or is it deafly??) purchased Wolfetone Dr V, Wolfetone Marshallheads, and Throbak SLE-101 LTDs...and am very happy with all three. If a PAF tone is what you're after, Throbaks are probably "the best" but they're not cheap.

By the way, A.J., other than what I wrote nobody can give you any better advice. All you said was "what's the best pickup for my guitar" without saying what type of music you play and how you like the pickups in the guitar now. You need to specify what type of sound you're after.

By the way, A.J., other than what I wrote nobody can give you any better advice. All you said was "what's the best pickup for my guitar" without saying what type of music you play and how you like the pickups in the guitar now. You need to specify what type of sound you're after.

This.

I don't like shopping for pickups because it's really a crap shoot. They give you a short demo video of what the pickups sound like but all you're really hearing is an amp. Be nice if they did before/after clips.

This is pretty much why I've stuck with DiMarzio all along. I had various models in the high end Ibanez guitars I used to play, so I knew what they sounded like and I could use them as a reference when reading up on their other pickups. It still isn't much to go on, to be honest, but better than nothing.

Archived