Gibson Brands Forums

carvin v3 head??

pete c

i have been thinking about getting a v3 since they came out with it. i had the mts3200 head but never really jelled with it. what are your thoughts about this amp. i live in new england so there isnt much chance to try them out first. i like to play classic rock to metal.

i have been thinking about getting a v3 since they came out with it. i had the mts3200 head but never really jelled with it. what are your thoughts about this amp. i live in new england so there isnt much chance to try them out first. i like to play classic rock to metal.

I haven't played it.....I've played other Carvin amps, never owned one. The price and features seem great....I'd buy one without trying it out first...You might tryout the Egnator Tourmaster; about the same price.......If you don't like one Carvin you may simply not like the brand's tone; just a thought.......

I own one, I use it as a backup to my Mark IV.

To be honest, I haven't played it much in the 3 years I've owned it because my Mark IV never fails. (Knock on wood)

It has a great clean channel and the 2 gain channels are identical but you can configure them differently.

Many many many switches and knobs for the tone tweaker and has gain for days.

One hint, the high end can get a little "fizzy". Back off the Presence to 2 or 0 and use the Bright control on the master section to bring up the highs

and you will dial out the fizz. This amp also have massive bottom. Great amp, very versatile. I got it because I wanted to mess around with the midi

controlled channel switching part of it but I haven't gotten around to using my V3 to it's potential yet.

I also swapped out that ugly blah gray grill for the diamond plate grill, makes the amp look less like a floor heater.

If you don't like one Carvin you may simply not like the brand's tone; just a thought.......

Not really. I've played through many Carvin amps over the years and each model has its own tone.

The X100B (Awesome Amp!) sounds nothing like the Legacy, V3 or their vintage Belair.

Not really. I've played through many Carvin amps over the years and each model has its own tone.

The X100B (Awesome Amp!) sounds nothing like the Legacy, V3 or their vintage Belair.

Good call Cabba; I should have been more clear in my response.......What I meant referred more to a brand preference..ie, different Marshalls sound different, but have a 'Marshall' quality and 'tone' type in general; same thing with Fenders in general.....Amp brands have a brand "flavor" while at the same time can sound very different model by model...The v3 may very well suit him then..

The new Bugera Trirec Infinium might be an option to look at.....Many great features and can be bought by a good shopper for around 700+.......

If you are Carvin specific, go with what you know then.

Good call Cabba; I should have been more clear in my response.......What I meant referred more to a brand preference..ie, different Marshalls sound different, but have a 'Marshall' quality and 'tone' type in general; same thing with Fenders in general.....Amp brands have a brand "flavor" while at the same time can sound very different model by model...The v3 may very well suit him then..

The new Bugera Trirec Infinium might be an option to look at.....Many great features and can be bought by a good shopper for around 700+.......

If you are Carvin specific, go with what you know then.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Has the QC on Bugera improved any? All I keep hearing about Bugera is "sounds great.....when it works".

I'd really like to know because they have those 2 Marshall clones (1960 & 1990) that are pretty cheap.

They sound good on YouTube, but you know how that goes.....

Oh, I see what you mean.

Has the QC on Bugera improved any? All I keep hearing about Bugera is "sounds great.....when it works".

I'd really like to know because they have those 2 Marshall clones (1960 & 1990) that are pretty cheap.

They sound good on YouTube, but you know how that goes.....

Ah, thanks once again.....I need to be more careful in clarity......sincerely Cabba.........

As we both and others know, Jet City has had some QC issues, and they are very good at fixing them; my Jet City works fine.......

Bugera does make well designed and built products; BUT THEY DO seem to have QC issues which all should be aware of before purchacing their products.

Because I do not know how knowledgable the author is, as such, thanks Cabba once again !!!!!

Bonfire, as you may know, always do as much research as you can before the purchace...New England has lots of music stores; try out anything before hand if you can, but you know this....You can't try out the Carvin because it's sold mostly direct; Cabba likes his, perhaps you can order one and send it back if it's not your cup of tea; you may loose some restocking fees but; Cabba likes his, and he does know his equipment.....And he is right, different Carvins do have different flavors...

If you can try out Egnater's Tourmaster IN PERSON, you may fall in love with their version of affordable high quality tube amps; their service is good, and their QC is good; I have a handful of Egnaters, and they are my main amps these days; just a suggestion; good luck with your decision(s).

( I have one small Bugera amp, 5 watter, no problems, but bigger amps have more parts etc etc. )..........

Ah, thanks once again.....I need to be more careful in clarity......sincerely Cabba.........

As we both and others know, Jet City has had some QC issues, and they are very good at fixing them; my Jet City works fine.......

Bugera does make well designed and built products; BUT THEY DO seem to have QC issues which all should be aware of before purchacing their products.

Because I do not know how knowledgable the author is, as such, thanks Cabba once again !!!!!

Bonfire, as you may know, always do as much research as you can before the purchace...New England has lots of music stores; try out anything before hand if you can, but you know this....You can't try out the Carvin because it's sold mostly direct; Cabba likes his, perhaps you can order one and send it back if it's not your cup of tea; you may loose some restocking fees but; Cabba likes his, and he does know his equipment.....And he is right, different Carvins do have different flavors...

If you can try out Egnater's Tourmaster IN PERSON, you may fall in love with their version of affordable high quality tube amps; their service is good, and their QC is good; I have a handful of Egnaters, and they are my main amps these days; just a suggestion; good luck with your decision(s).

( I have one small Bugera amp, 5 watter, no problems, but bigger amps have more parts etc etc. )..........

Ok, I was just wondering if you had more info on the Bugera because I'm very interested in those 1960 & 1990 amps.

They sound great and for the money I could get both new as opposed to getting one used. I don't think I'd gig with them, but they would be great for studio amps.

I had hoped Bugera would end up being the super tanks that Sovtek was, but that was then this is now.

thank you guys for all the great replys, ive owned a bunch of carvin gear . ive had marshall, peavey ,laney, line6, crate. i guess you could say im trying to reinvent my tone. one thing im confused about is the midi stuff, do you hook it up to a pc? and tweek your tone. im a huge gadget nut and will spend hours tweeking an amp to see what it will do. and now they through in a free foot switch to boot.

thank you guys for all the great replys, ive owned a bunch of carvin gear . ive had marshall, peavey ,laney, line6, crate. i guess you could say im trying to reinvent my tone. one thing im confused about is the midi stuff, do you hook it up to a pc? and tweek your tone. im a huge gadget nut and will spend hours tweeking an amp to see what it will do. and now they through in a free foot switch to boot.

Not a PC but if you have a midi controller pedal that you link rack gear to or if you have like a floor multi-FX unit like the Boss GT-8, Line 6 M13, TC Electronic Nova System etc, you can have it change channels on your amp as you change patches/banks on your floor unit. So, say you want the clean channel of your amp on patch 3 with your chorus and delay then on patch 4 you go to your dirty sound and it will bring up whichever channel on the amp you set as your dirt channel as well as the FX you have set in your floor unit or rack gear to come on. It's really cool, if you plan on running a midi rig.

If not, then it being midi controllable isn't that big a deal for you. I got the V3 specifically for that feature because the Marshall JVM410H (midi controllable) was so expensive and I was wanting to experiment with using midi patch changes with a tube amp. Plus, the V3 can be a brutal sounding amp once you get it dialed in.

thank you everyone for the great response, i guess im going to pull the trigger on it. [thumbup]

Plus, Carvin has a 10 day trial period where you can send it back for a full refund if you don't like it.

from carvin.com:

10-DAY TRIAL

The only way to appreciate the performance of a Carvin product is to use it in your own environment, giving it the test of "real world" performance. Take 10 days to try out Carvin products. Your trial period starts when the merchandise is received by you, not when it's shipped. Really give it a workout. If you're not satisfied for any reason, send it back for a prompt refund or exchange - you would only be responsible for the shipping.

Congrats Bonfire, go for it...Cabba, I test drove the 1960 Bugera, but I, as you do, own many tube amps. I liked it, but when I buy another bugera, it will be the Triec. I am awaiting a new ' man cave ', a big one, and I keep adding to my collection until I get there...If a Bugera is for your home and not for the road, indeed get one...Hmmmm. Gotta say, among the people on here, I really respect you along with the few that I do; and I'm getting tired of the posers on here; kinda kills the true meaning of the forum....Bless you and your family this season of stress..... and fun.

i was getting tired if the local choices fro amps. mainly just ss stuff . and all the carvin gear ive owned has been very built. so i dont feel ill be disappointed with it. got neck surgery next month so it will give me something to do besides playing the Xbox 360. thanks for all the input [thumbup]

i was getting tired if the local choices fro amps. mainly just ss stuff . and all the carvin gear ive owned has been very built. so i dont feel ill be disappointed with it. got neck surgery next month so it will give me something to do besides playing the Xbox 360. thanks for all the input [thumbup]

Wow - good luck on the neck surgery. Stop all that windmill headbanging! LOL! [biggrin]

Congrats Bonfire, go for it...Cabba, I test drove the 1960 Bugera, but I, as you do, own many tube amps. I liked it, but when I buy another bugera, it will be the Triec. I am awaiting a new ' man cave ', a big one, and I keep adding to my collection until I get there...If a Bugera is for your home and not for the road, indeed get one...Hmmmm. Gotta say, among the people on here, I really respect you along with the few that I do; and I'm getting tired of the posers on here; kinda kills the true meaning of the forum....Bless you and your family this season of stress..... and fun.

Thanks Damian, likewise.

I haven't heard of the Bugera Trirec...I'm assuming they back-engineered a Mesa Triple Rec? I'll check it out too.

Archived