Gibson Brands Forums

Number of Guitars produced question

Wyoming T/A

Hmmmm...

Gibson is a privately held company, so they disclose no production numbers.

There are limited runs advertised as limited to 400 pieces, that sort of thing.

But the next year, that limited run becomes a regular production piece.

I dunno.

Call Gibson Customer Service at 800 444-2766 - open 24/7.

Thye might be able to give you some good info - I've been surprised a time or two myself.

I would rest assured that guitar will remain relatively rare.

It's not a mass market piece.

Cool guitar for sure, but just not what most Les Paul people have been dreaming of.

Something to keep in mind - in a few years, few people will even remember them.

Those that do will be happy to see one, so it will always have a bit of a fan base.

And even if it did become the Next Big Thing in a few years, you have an early production example.

Lessee...

How many Explorers and Flying Vs were produced in 1958-1959 before Gibson decided they were duds?

They came back years later - in different guise - and the originals suddenly became Holy.

Congrats.

Take good care of it and play the hell out of it.

How many Explorers and Flying Vs were produced in 1958-1959 before Gibson decided they were duds?

They came back years later - in different guise - and the originals suddenly became Holy.

Just a bit of fun info from the Gibson Bible... believe it or not the production numbers are available for both ..(1958) Explorer-19 (1959)-3

The Flying V actually did better...(1958)-81 (1959)-17

That's my point precisely - they were up-front with the production numbers then.

No reason to hide them from a historical standpoint.

As the company changed hands and people came and went, plenty of info got out the door.

Current production, however, is a competitive issue. They won't be releasing that info.

There are ways to see what sort of total revenue the company is generating - taxes fer instance.

But to divide that up among individual products at a wholesale level is impossible.

There are a few bean-counters within the Gibson organization with access to those numbers and they ain't talkin'.

Archived