Gibson Brands Forums

Urgent advice on which finish for pickups needed

AlanH

Hi Folks,

I need some urgent help as I need to place an order for various bits music gear over this weekend.

I have an Epi LP Studio Deluxe which has chrome hardware (although the tuners are vintage style so you can't see the finish of the metal from the front.)

Anyway, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 490R/490T combo and I have the choice of either chrome or nickel at the same price. There was a thread started a couple of months back by Epi1 asking people which they prefer and I've read that. However, I'm considering going for the nickel just because the stop bar tailpiece on my studio is tarnishing quite badly (more like the coating coming away). My question is do you think the nickel will look OK with an otherwise chrome bridge/tailpiece, especially as they are now tarnishing, or will it look totally stupid if I buy the nickel covered pups?

NB. I currently have no intention of replacing the bridge/tailpiece.

Hope you can help.

Alan

I suppose it comes down to trying to match what's already on the guit now. Chrome will eventually tarnish / flake / corrode to the same level, so if you have chrome on elsewhere go for that.

But if the question was all chrome or all nickel, I think the consensus was nickel: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55725-chrome-or-nickel-plating/page__p__748557__hl__chrome__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=748557

I suppose it comes down to trying to match what's already on the guit now. Chrome will eventually tarnish / flake / corrode to the same level, so if you have chrome on elsewhere go for that.

But if the question was all chrome or all nickel, I think the consensus was nickel: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55725-chrome-or-nickel-plating/page__p__748557__hl__chrome__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=748557

I suppose what I'm saying is that, as the stop bar is mostly tarnished already, will nickel look better straight away (being less shiny than chrome)?

Archived