Gibson Brands Forums

Just checking this is a genuine R 9

RandomReg

Hi all

Thanks for taking time to look at this, I have just purchased (2nd Hand) an R9, it is a beautiful looking guitar it has COA and cosmetically everything about it looks spot on, however it feels a little light, it weighs in at just 8.14lbs does this seem a little light?

It had Seymour Duncans added at factory but I also have original Burstbuckers with itpost-27634-077158100 1291545692_thumb.jpg

Thank you

Andrew

post-27634-004635300 1291545747_thumb.jpg

how about posting normal size photos? also, complete front and back pics. from what you have posted, for me it's very difficult to tell.

Also, more info. on the guitar will be helpful. As far as I know the only LP that used SD's, factory install was the Pearly Gates.But they didn't use exsposed Zebras.If I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks genuine to me. Serial also rolls as an R9 in washed cherry , from 2006, with nickel hardware, made at the Custom Shop in Nashville, tennessee. It would be the 827th 1959 reissue model made back in that year. NOT a VOS model yet however.

The weight sounds right for an R9, and Customer Service says the number sounds right. The only thing I would question is the Seymour Duncans being a factory option. Gibson would never put aftermarket pickups in a reissue, not even a custom order. They would consider other Gibson pickups in a custom order, but not SDs or another maker (except for a few artist model runs that is). I would suggest that the Duncans were added after purchase by someone who just either forgot or made up the story. Why else would there be burstbuckers in the case as well? Either way looks like you got a nice guitar there. Enjoy it.

Archived