Gibson Brands Forums

head phones for tv

pete c

It seems that T.V.s don't usually have headphone jacks these days.....You could output the sound through a stereo of any size, and then run headphones out from the stereo. Cords are a pain, so I'd then go with a wireless headphone system.....They can be inexpensive these days; no need for an expensive set...just an idea.

Splitting the signal bewtween the speakers and headphones is typically a function of the circuitry within the TV itself. Unfortuantely, plugging in the headphones most typically cancels out the speakers.

Do you have any kind of a Home Theater setup already?

my tv has a headphone jack the 1/8th size plug and has the RCA jacks for sound out also, and no i dont have a sound system for it.

Then Logitech makes a nice set of volume adjustable headphones with an 1/8th in. plug. You can try it and see if the TV still outputs to the speakers. If not, try some outs to a pair of PC speakers and see if it kills the external output.

If none of that works, ping me and I'll come up with another plan :)!

My TV signal comes in through the VCR/DVD player. The A/V goes via coax cable to the TV with one speaker. Audio is also patched to the stereo system as well via the color coded RCA cables from the same VCR/DVD/ RF receiver. My stereo is an oldie but a goodie with a 1/4" stereo jack on the front. Plugging into the Stereo cancels the signal to the stereo speakers (standard but the wiring can be changed to prevent this, but requires dis-assembly and soldering). However, it does not cancel the audio signal to the TV. So... one could plug a set of standard ear phones (mine are 1980's vintage ear muffs with l and r volume controls) with volume controls and the other family members can adjust their own volume.

Archived