Gibson Brands Forums

epi sheraton

vaarl

Hi all, new to the site and new to Epiphone/ Gibson. I thought I would try a different guitar from strats so took a chance with the sheraton after reading some good things. I need some help about a truss rod issue. Out of the box I restrung it only had 9s and could not intonate it properly so took them off and put 10s on intonated fine then. Anyway, I thought there was too much bend in the neck and decided to tighten truss rod to straighten neck a bit. When I took the truss cover off the rod was loose and was sliding up and down! This is not normal surely? Well I thought not so got an allen key and the rod went into the hole quite a way but I managed to turn it but was not sure all was ok, still not sure, but it did seem to tighten up and neck is better but what do you guys think? Should it have been so loose from the factory and do they need to be pushed down into hole to tighten? Answers will be warmly received. My other opinions, finish is great, looks well made, the knobs look a bit plasticy so have put black and gold witch hats on that look good. Pick ups are fine and grover tuners keep tune very well. The neck seemed sticky though, when playing lead scales etc not sure why? may oil it(lemon, or olive oil) and see if that helps, heard classical musicians do this. Frets are fine, action is quite low and it is sounding good now the strings have settled. All in all I like it, lots of sounds from clean stratty to beefy distortion sustain with those humbuckers, headstock is lovely, badge on pickguard a bit haphazardly glued but yes, cool guitar. So guys help me out if you can with the trussrod issue.

Cheers

Vaarl.

Vaarl,

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the new guitar...maybe.

The truss rod should not slide up and down. If it was disconnected from the base there could be a problem.

If you were able to screw it back into it's anchor and all is well you might be OK. (hoping that is the case)

What was the relief before adjusting it?

How much turning after it "grabbed" did you have to give it?

What is the relief now?

Have you done truss rod adjustments before?....Just trying to get an idea of what you know about setups.

If the guitar does, in fact, have a truss rod problem:

Did you buy it new?

Have you talked to the dealer about the truss rod issue?

And...you say "out of the box"....I don't know of any Epi electrics that come with factory .09s

Willy

Hi Willy, thanks for the comments, think I may have confused you a little. It came with 10s on but I changed them to 9s then back to 10s. The relief now is slight not dead straight but close. It did have quite a bit of bow before and when it grabbed gave it a couple of quarter turns until it got tight to turn. It seem fine now, action lowish and no string buzz. I have adjusted them on strats and gordon smiths before so have some experience. I was just surprised how deep the the rod went in, normally the end can be seen and adjusted this time the 4 inch allen key nearly disappeared. But seems ok now.

Archived