Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guard or no pick guard?

EvanPC

A little background: I've got an Epi LP that, from time to time, I'll remove the pick guard simply because I like to change up its appearance from time to time. You know, sort of like rearranging your living room. The guitar came with the guard installed, so making the change is easy.

Now, I've also got an Gibson LP studio which came with a pick guard but it was not installed. In my eyes, the natural/high gloss finish on the body is almost too beautiful to drill into. On the other hand, I wish I had the ability to put it on or take it off whenever I please.

So, do you prefer a pick guard on or off?

And, would you want to install (drill into the body) simply to have the option?

Oh, man am I glad mine didn't come with a pickguard. I usually like the look of a Les Paul WITH a pickguard better than without... but if mine came with one, but not installed... the mental agonies I would go through. [scared] I kid you not. [blush] I'm not super into modding gear, so I'm content to just leave mine as it came from the factory. If I had to pick... woo.

I occasionally remind myself of a T-shirt I saw in a catalog: "I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order." :blink: [flapper]

No pickguard.

Two reasons;

1 - it looks better.

2 - There is absolutely no need. If you're picking technique makes you contact the guitar body with the pick on an LP, you're doing it wrong.

It would be purely aesthetic for me. I don't need something to guard my guitar from my pick, but I like having the option of changing the guitars face when I please. It comes down to which is more desirable. Having a pristine maple top with no pick guard, or the option to have one, but with holes drilled...

However, as someone suggested, apparently there's alternatives to drilling.

Archived