Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Replacement: Soldering in the Pickup Cavity

bluewaterpig

Excellent advice everyone.

So I'm going to be removing both wires at once, tinning them together, and then soldering that back onto the lug.

When tinning the two wires together, how do you guys twist the wires together? Do you fray the wires out on each and then twist them all together to create something that looks like one wire, or do you keep both wires pretty tightly wound and twist them together in a sort of "braid"? Hope that makes sense...

With your new pick-up you should have plenty of extra lead to play with. Try it one way and if it doesn't turn out nice, clip it off and try it again. Repeat until you get it right and stop before you end up getting too short to reach the pot. If you are that point take it to somebody to do it for you! msp_biggrin.gif

Doesn't the capacitor connect the volume and tone pots?

Maybe I'm wrong but the stock wiring in my lp had nothing between the volume and tone pots other than a capacitor.

Some Gibsons have a capacitor connecting the volume and tone pots. This model has a jumper wire between the volume and tone pots and the capacitor is between the tone pot and ground.

Archived