Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Movin' In.....

Murph

I'm pretty sure my "quit smoking, getting a new guitar" fund is moving very close the the ES335.

I played an ES335 last weekend for a few minutes at a store about an hour from here. He only had two, one was red, one a burst. I think I loved the neck! Didn't plug it in, schedule, ect.

If you've read any of my post, I'm a gigger, 40/50 weekends a year, played a Les Paul for 14years, a Strat, Sg, and have been gigging a 91 Tele for the last few years and was convinced I wanted an R8, because I was born in 1958.

So was the ES-335.......

Damn that thing handled well.

I think I loved that neck. Did I mention that? Now I'm worried about the R8 fat neck. I think I need an ES-335. I'm pretty sure.

My problem is no local dealers, so it's gonna be online. Neo has convinced me Bizarre in PHOENIX is a good bunch. hg has convinced me he likes an ES-335......

I am positive I want a Tobacco burst. The Reno store that I'm leary of (named Bizarre also by the way) had a triburst flamed for $2239.00. It's at www.bizarreguitar.com # 1152. Page 2. I just can't buy from a dealer that is no longer a dealer. A return could turn into a nightmare.

But I don't see the triburst flamed anywhere else.

Any hints, or tips?

Thanks and God Bless. I love this forum.

Murph.

Online was one of my few choices for an ES339 since GC doesn't regularly stock them. GuitarSale, is an online sister company (one of the few outlets who carry the 339, that's another story). Instead of stock photos, Guitar Sale posts individual pictures of the actual guitar, by serial number, and if you call them with a specific request they'll pick one for you. In my case I asked for no light streaks in the grain and the salesperson offered to check to make sure there weren't any file marks on the fretboard, either. After the phone conversation he emailed me with my choices. They de-tuned the guitar a whole step before shipping it, as I requested. I have to conclude that the setup was tweaked after it left the factory since it played much much better than the one I saw at Guitar Center.

I'd have to caution that GuitarSale is part of WoodwindsBrasswinds and they carry the cheaper stuff and their service and web site are not as good as GuitarSale.

I believe they have a brief exchange period but unfortunately there's no substitute for sitting in the store and trying out a few guitars. I'm happy with my onine purchase of the ES339, but when it comes time for a Traditional LP or R9 I'm going to go local.

Guitar Center (stores and online), Musician's Friend (part of Guitar Center), Sam Ash (stores and online) and Sweetwater are all large, legitimate Gibson dealers, who stock and sell ES-335's. Guitar Center is the largest musical instrument retailer in the world both in size and sales volume. Sam Ash has been around "forever", and I have even heard a few nice things about Sweetwater (although I have not purchased from them.. but I have purchased many pieces of equipment and many guitars from GC and Ash)..

The Gibson website does post a complete and current list of all dealers, including which lines they carry/sell.

Enjoy your 335.. it sounds like one is in your future (and it really is an excellent guitar)!

Where I live, it's hit or miss in terms of where you will find a 335. When I bought mine (Guitar Center), there were 3 in the store, including the classic burst and the cherry one I bought. Sam Ash apparently carries them, but had none in stock.

Don't buy one online. Bad choice. Just bide your time.

If you tell the Guitar Center staff you want one, believe me, they will find the one you like and get it in the store. Then you can play it and decide if you want it.

Guitar Center stocks them. If the store doesn't have the particular model you want, they can order it (from their distribution center, or their web business (GC Online or MF Online), or from the Gibson factory via a Special Order. Trust me, my credit card can attest to the foregoing.

Sam Ash does sell them now, after a hiatus of several years. They have had them on order for several weeks, and can probably tell you when they anticipate having them in stock, since their purchase orders are certainly in production by now.

Buying from a store is always less "risky" then a "blind" purchase online. You get to see it, touch it and most importantly play it prior to owning it. You also have the (hopefully) advantage of cultivating a "relationship" with sales people who you meet face to face, rather than an anonymous voice on the phone or a web browser (who also cares about your repeat business).

You're going to really enjoy your 335. It is a very special guitar, just like Les Pauls are (and a few other fine guitar models that are still being manufactured by companies like Gibson, Martin, Fender, etc.).

Most of the authorized dealers of Gibsons are unable to post photos of individual guitars on their websites due to restrictions from Gibson. Doesn't mean they don't have them, or that they are committed to customer service and satisfaction.

I bought my CS-356 long-distance from Music Machine in Washington State, and had an exceptionally good experience (photos, in-hand description, questions answered, setup to my liking, and an approval period). Buying this way can be nerve-wracking, but it isn't necessarily a crap-shoot.

A partial listing of other dealers I've heard/read great things about on that criteria of service and satisfaction include Centre City Music in San Diego, Wildwood Guitars in Colorado and Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin. Their website's are often unable to provide the "whole story" because of Gibson policy (though Wildwood is one of the very few independent shops authorized to show individual guitars). I have purchased a non-Gibson from Dave's in the past, and was happy with that transaction. I'm sure there are many more that are willing to "go the extra mile" for a customer.

Happy hunting!

Wildwood, Sweetwater, Guitarsale, ect are cool sites with pictures of the real guitar, and prices. Thanks.

None had a tri burst figured.

The closest GC is 100 miles one way, and Opry Mills is about 150.

Musicians Friend online "says" it has one in stock. But I can't see "it".....

Thanks to all for insight, I might call Opry Mills to see what they have on hand, but it's an entire day trip that I can only pull off on a Sat., meaning I still have to get home to gig.

Or, I might just take my chance with MF. I've had good luck with my J45 RW, but didn't have to return it! It was perfect. My fear is a problem, ya know, and I can't see the "figure"......

Whew, sorry. Thanks to all for your input.

Murph.

Archived