Gibson Brands Forums

Strings and setups

Johnt

You guys are 100% brilliant! Thank you all so much for your replies from which I now have a strategy.

I am going to leave as is until I know I will be going to our guitar tech or near Thermionik. Then I will put the 12s on and tune down for a week or so.

Then in the prescence of one of the 2 people I would trust with the guitar they can get up to concert and as TWilson has got accustomed to saying "Bobs your uncle"

I think the 10s thing came from the electric guitars and bending the notes. I do not strum hard and mostly play flatpick or increasing fingerstyle (2 fingers LOL). I can clearly see that if someone is a hard player then thicker strings make sense.

One of the reasons I want to go this way is to strengthen my fingers, as I get older, so thanks TommyK although I am slightly worried about the corn cob thing. (I might hide that if stopped by the Highway Patrol)

AJ, welcome back by the way, holiday? or next years budget? at the moment the SWD is strung, by Robbie, with the same set of 009s!. I have some Elixir .10s which are destined for her neck probably usuing the same strategy as above.

I figure, with great respect to all those who know far more than me, I worked hard to get the guitars and am not keen to b*gger them up with my fiddling about with the truss rods. As I say I am ham fisted and anything to do with any form of "engineering" is completely alien to me,, I can only stand and watch in awe!

Thanks again one and all

BR

John

Kubra was a woman in Pakistan who left her abusive husband and sought refuge in a woman's shelter. By leaving her husband she brought disgrace on her family' date=' regardless of the abuse she had endured prior to leaving. That didn't matter. Her family coaxed her to come back home and that nobody would harm her. Two weeks later she was shot twice in the head while sleeping. It may have been her husband, it may have been a brother, it may have been her father. It's what is known as an honor killing and nobody is pursued for the murder. I'm not sure if her grave is even marked. This happens every day. Every day. Tick-friggin'-tock.

That should sum up my opinion of celebrating cultural diversity.

Don't mean to be Mr. Buzz Kill. Play on.[/quote']

Thanks for reminding us what Draconian rules 'the other half' play by.

...One of the reasons I want to go this way is to strengthen my fingers' date=' as I get older, so thanks TommyK although I am slightly worried about the corn cob thing. (I might hide that if stopped by the Highway Patrol)

...[/quote']

Not sure why the highway patrol would be concerned about a corn cob. However the item I spoke of is here;

http://www.garrettspecialties.com/corn-stress-ball-p-1159.html

If you lurk their site they also sell other items of approx the same dimensions, trucks, busses and a bannana that my be distributed in your area to sell God knows what.

Thanks for reminding us what Draconian rules 'the other half' play by.

yeah right.............we got mothers killing their kids, attacking pregnant women, all kinds of crap right here in the good old USA. Are we that blind that only the "other half" is Draconian? Geez.

yeah right.............we got mothers killing their kids' date=' attacking pregnant women, all kinds of crap right here in the good old USA. Are we that blind that only the "other half" is Draconian? Geez.[/quote']

There are bad people everywhere. When mothers kill their children or attack pregnant women here, they are prosecuted and punished. A bit different than a society that turns their back or even condones the killing of someone that they percieve as having dishonored thier family.

There are bad people everywhere. When mothers kill their children or attack pregnant women here' date=' they are prosecuted and punished. A bit different than a society that turns their back or even condones the killing of someone that they percieve as having dishonored thier family. [/color']

Right.......like we deal with poverty and mental illness....more $ spent on the military in one day. Health care. No problem...mtge the house if any equity left. Disturbing when people start beliving their own BS.

Archived