Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 57 Classic s in Epiphone Dot

JLHooker

I recently had my Dot rewired and 57 classic and classic pickups plus installed.The classic plus is so much louder than the classic that I can't get them balanced.I have to turn down the volume on the classic plus about half way to keep it from over powering the classic in the neck.Is this normal foe this pickup combination? If not, what pickup (Gibson or otherwise) will pair with the classic plus?

Thanks for any advice

I recently had my Dot rewired and 57 classic and classic pickups plus installed.The classic plus is so much louder than the classic that I can't get them balanced.I have to turn down the volume on the classic plus about half way to keep it from over powering the classic in the neck.Is this normal foe this pickup combination? If not, what pickup (Gibson or otherwise) will pair with the classic plus?

Thanks for any advice

Have you tried adjusting the height of the pickups?

RaSTuS is right..Try that first.....Yes, the 57 and 57+ are designed to work together well.......IF you REALLY want them to have the same output, replace the 57+ with another 57.....That will work.......

RaSTuS is right..Try that first.....Yes, the 57 and 57+ are designed to work together well.......IF you REALLY want them to have the same output, replace the 57+ with another 57.....That will work.......

Not quite accurate. The reason for the commonality of bridge pickups being hotter than neck pickups is to help compensate for the tendency of the neck pickup being louder due to the fact that the string oscillation over the neck pickup has a wider arc, creating a greater magnetic effect and more volume. Even with a hotter bridge pickup, the neck can easily still be louder, unless lowered considerably.

I thought the norm for semi hollows was same output pups for both the neck and bridge.

I dunno that it's the "norm", but it is common, like on the iconic Gibson ES335. Epi Dot Studio is one that has the HOTCH bridge pickup, like many LPs and SGs.

As for the OP's "problem", that's one reason why separate volume controls are handy on some guitars, although I'm still pretty sure he needs to adjust the pickup heights.

Not quite accurate. The reason for the commonality of bridge pickups being hotter than neck pickups is to help compensate for the tendency of the neck pickup being louder due to the fact that the string oscillation over the neck pickup has a wider arc, creating a greater magnetic effect and more volume. Even with a hotter bridge pickup, the neck can easily still be louder, unless lowered considerably.

Thank you........hmmmmm.................[thumbup] ......

Archived