Gibson Brands Forums

thunderbird bass

raveyd

[thumbup] iv been looking into the possibility of purchasing a Thunderbird bass, having heard what they can do from the amebix and more recently (having just seen them live) solace

having done a little bit of research it appears that there seems to be a problem with the necks, ive read several reviews which have all said how amazing they sound, but have had unexplained cracks appear in the necks.

having seen the original cases, they appear to have very little protection for neck/tuning heads, is this the common reason, due to lack of padding? other explanations ive heard are, storing for periods of time without slackening strings, and finally, that the top of the neck is too narrow for the size/weight of the tuning heads??

any advice would be much appreciated, as i dont want to spend, what for me is a considerable ammount of money, on a bass that one morning i could get up, to find a crack in the head or worse [crying]

Doesn't sound right to me, tbird 9 piece neck is much stronger and stable than one piece necks, I would think it would take some sort of abuse to crack the necks. There is an epi pro model that is very close to gibson for less money.

`

OK so you've heard them and

seen them on stage.

Ever strap one on ? That alone

could settle the whole issue ....

`

havnt had the pleasure, though knowing how heavy they are(Gibsons) its probably gona be more pain than pleasure lol!! [biggrin]

im playing 3 diff basses at the moment, a legacy an ibanez and a peavey, but they just dont seem to have the growl of the thunderbird, hence my questions

thanks

Doesn't sound right to me, tbird 9 piece neck is much stronger and stable than one piece necks, I would think it would take some sort of abuse to crack the necks. There is an epi pro model that is very close to gibson for less money.

thats the reason im here, im playin 3 diff basses now, an ibanez a peavey and a legacy. they dont seem to have the grunt the thunderbird has.im not a fan of the epiphones sorry just my personel oppinion.

i did a little research, and found a few reviews who all said the same, great sound but had issues with the necks, unexplained cracks, either after being stored for a while, or after temperature changes, taking the bass from a warm house in its case out into a car/van sat outside in cold weather.

im still looking into getting a thunderbird, just needed a bit of reassurance that i wasnt buying a disaster waiting to happen lol [laugh]

Archived