Gibson Brands Forums

60's B or an LGO?

twelve_bar

After the death of a family friend, I just inherited this guitar.

In all the time we played together at family functions and just when just hanging out, she was never really sure what she had actually bought all those years ago. I'm trying to figure it out now.

I'm guessing this guitar is either some flavor of a B or an LGO.

I don't think it is a B15 because it does not have the slim melody maker headstock. I was leaning towards it being a B20, but I have yet to find a picture of a B20 with the screws in the bridge.

My next guess was an LGO because I have found pics with the right headstock shape (but not color) and the bridge with screws in it. However, the pick guard seems wrong for an LGO and very much in the B style and I cannot account for the brown headstock rather than the black headstock.

The machine heads are of no use here because they are not original. She had grovers put on them at some point because "Bob Dylan uses grovers".

The 804XXX serial number puts it as either a '66 or a '69 as best as I can tell.

I'm hoping someone around here might have an idea.

Thanks in Advance, here are some pics...

Headstock.jpg

Bridge.jpg

PickGuard.jpg

Full.jpg

Front.jpg

It's an LG-0. In 1969 they went from a mahogany top to spruce, dropped the headstock overlay, went to a belly down bridge and had the thick teardrop guard. I'm sure these changes didn't happen all at once but yours is consistent with a 1970 model. Since the serial number could be '69, I'd call it a '69 LG-0.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

It might not be real pretty or fancy, but it sure is a fun guitar to play. And i love the 1 mismatched tuning peg for the A string.

Not to mention to memories each time I pick it up to play. You can't beat that.

Thanks again

Archived