Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson T-tops with broken mounting brackets

ironlung40

Hey all,

I've got some 1979 year gibson t-tops. I bought these when I was fresh into guitars and modding. I tried to fit them into a fender jaguar, and bent the mounting tabs in doing so. (this was about 12 years ago) As a result, when I tried to bend the tabs back into place, it weakened them. Over time, and after retrofitting them into a couple of other guitars, they gave in and broke.

I know that these pickups are rare now, and semi-valuable to some. I'd like to buy the bottom piece that the pickup coils mount to so that I can sell em' or at least mount them properly in a guitar. Do you know what this part is called and where I can find some?

-You need the baseplate. Here are two for you. One is from Stew-Mac and the other is from AllParts. Not sure which one will fit your T-Top, but maybe an email to each company will help sort that out for you.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/Humbucker_Pickup_Parts/Humbucker_Baseplate.html

http://www.allparts....pu-6915-001.htm

L8R,

Matt

-You need the baseplate. Here are two for you. One is from Stew-Mac and the other is from AllParts. Not sure which one will fit your T-Top, but maybe an email to each company will help sort that out for you.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/Humbucker_Pickup_Parts/Humbucker_Baseplate.html

http://www.allparts....pu-6915-001.htm

L8R,

Matt

Thanks so much. That is exactly what I was after. Hopefully, this won't devalue the pickups to 0, but I need to get em' functional again. I'll keep the old broken baseplates with them in case I want to resale them in the future.

thanks

How well will this hold up? I'd still have to buy base plates, then remove the ears, as the original ones are missing... ](*,)

It holds up fine. They are soldered on just like the chrome covers get soldered on. It requires a high power iron.

The problem with swapping the base plate entirely is that the new one won't have the proper patent number or date stamp on it anymore. If you're worried about the value then that might be a problem. I have about 300 base plats in my shop most of the time so having to buy one isn't a problem on me.

It holds up fine. They are soldered on just like the chrome covers get soldered on. It requires a high power iron.

The problem with swapping the base plate entirely is that the new one won't have the proper patent number or date stamp on it anymore. If you're worried about the value then that might be a problem. I have about 300 base plats in my shop most of the time so having to buy one isn't a problem on me.

Great, this is good news to me. I'll definitely go this route, which will preserve their value more. I may be able to locate the original ears anyway. I've got a junk box that most of that stuff get's thrown into.

??What power iron do you recommend, and what kind of solder do you suggest?

Also, can you give me some direction on attaching the new ears. 1. when I remove the ears off of the new baseplates, should I snip them were they join the plate, or snip a strip of the plate with the ear to be laid flat on the old plate for soldering? 2. if I do keep a strip, should it be soldered on top of or on bottom of the old plates?

Again, thanks for this information.

-And another question is do you use regular rosin core solder or do you use something like silver solder? You'd probably need a pretty hefty gun to do this too, right? Maybe 100-120 watts or so to get the baseplate heated quick enough to take the solder? And would you butt the pieces end to end, or overlap them like Ironlung asked?

L8R,

Matt

-And another question is do you use regular rosin core solder or do you use something like silver solder? You'd probably need a pretty hefty gun to do this too, right? Maybe 100-120 watts or so to get the baseplate heated quick enough to take the solder? And would you butt the pieces end to end, or overlap them like Ironlung asked?

L8R,

Matt

I use a 100W Weller iron and rosin core silver bearing solder. I like to overlap them a little for some extra beef.

Archived