Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Legends series question

sumner77

Greetings. I have a fair amount of experience playing a Legends J-45 and thought it the best new Gibson I'd ever played. I ended up keeping a ca. 1949 J-45 instead, but it was close. I have much less time with the Legends L-00 and would be grateful to forum members who know this guitar, for your opinions as to tone, playability, how close they got to the original. How does this compare with what else you can buy in a small body Gibson for that money. Thanks.

I've played three of the Legend L-00s. I have an actual L00 from the mid 30's, as well as a custom shop L00. IMO, the Legend L-00s are in the same league as the Legend J-45. I think the tops of the older guitars might be a tad thinner, but the sound of the Legend is still very 'lively', which is one of the qualities I hear in older small body guitars.

All that said, I prefer my new custom L00 to the original. The custom is starting to open up, it has great balance and maple is my flavor of choice.

As you know, the L00 design has become pretty popular. I think it's the perfect guitar- the depth of the instrument gives it a real 'bass' component (unlike the LG2) without compromising balance, and it has the snap and response you only get in a small body. (Norman Blake has always espoused this model; I just finally figured it out!)

So there are lots of different options for L00 clones. The problem with new 'designer' guitars: they'll set you back at least what an original will cost. You can get a 70 year old original in very good shape for @ $3500. New ones come at about that price (or more) and sound, well, new.

My favorite homage to the L00 is a custom version made by Collings for Acoustic Music in Pittsburgh. Steve orders up a C10 with just a bit deeper body--and you've got a L00 clone with all the attention that Collings puts into their guitars. (But they also come with a higher ticket.)

Hoss:

I had a Collings C-10 with hog back and sides and sitka top. It was a great guitar in its own right but it did not give me that L-00 sound. Too many overtones, too bright - just too much. Plus, even though it is a collings short scale, it is not the gibson 24.75 scale.

I need to find a Legend L-00 near me.

Mike

Mike-

I'm not talking about the C-10-- it's a 'custom C-10'. COmes with a deeper body, and it sounds great. I've always felt the C-10 was too bright as well. Very 'crashy', IMO.

But I do love the modified version that steve has made for his shop. (He actually calls it a 'C10 DLx Custom') I don't think he hardly ever gets a 'regular' C10 anymore.

Here's a Rosewood version with an Adi top. Note that the price for these babies is usually north of $4500.

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/C10085.html

And a Maple with some authentic looking touches--

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/C10MG.html

I think that the "legends" are very good guitars. When I was in Nashville in April doing research for my book, the Gibson folks gave me Lee Roy Parnell's prototype of the Legend L-00 to play for the 3 days I spent at there. It was a lovely guitar. They also loaned me a Legend J-45. (The Gibson folks are my kind of people!) The legend J-45 was also lovley.

Archived