Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom

opusge

I bought a JPC353 a couple months back by mail order and the binding along the neck was noted separated from the neck.

n720381742_1235292_5730.jpg

It looks like it is due to a significantly different response rate to moisture/temperature between the neck mahogany and ebony. Might be due to inadequate time of drying?? I don’t know .

Anyway I sent the guitar back to the dealer and after another couple of weeks I receive the new replacement JPC413.

The finish on the neck looks a bit rough and when I look down the neck I can see the high E side of the neck has a different curvature from the reflection. I don’t recall this on the JPC353 and when I play it I cant feel any difference (compared to a standard slim neck. )

My question is would that be the composite neck shape found on the previous jimmy page les paul run or just a reflection on the uneven neck finish? did they decide to change the neck shape in the last 100s to reflect the jimmy 's preferenceon neck profile? i know somewhere on the gibson web site it said 60s slim but ..... inconsistency on spec is not unsual these days....

The 9s set come with the guitar go out of tune all the time even I stay away from the bigsby…. Any other owner have same experience? Should I use 10s instead.

Also wish ask about replacing the kluson tuner on my another les paul, the problem is it starts to rotate once I got all the 2 screws removed and I cant pull it out no matter how….any advice?

Hi opusge , haven't seen cracking like that on the finish of my JPC211, binding etc is all ok. The neck feels ok to me. Only issue with finish is the edge of the head along the edge where the top tuners are. The bit you look down at as if you are playing and look down at the head, is slightly dimpled, kind of orange peel dimpled. Minor thing that I guess has to do with the spraying or something. Not visible when looking front on, its just at the side.

The blurb when I bought it stated it had a ellipitical neck profile, not sure if this means it is the same as 60s profile. Its thinner near the head, a bit thicker in middle and thin again near the body from what I can remember. I don't have it here at the moment so just going from what I can remember. Its not that noticable, but I guess the question is, is elliptical the same as 60s profile?

I kept 9's on mine as thats what I usually perfer anyway. Tuning is fine on mine. Actually, I was amazed at how well it stayed in tune without using the bigsby.

Maybe things got a bit sloppy in the custom shop as they got further down the production run. If the theads on the alex lifesson are anything to go by, it looks like a possibility.

I'm still over the moon with mine, haven't had any issues and everthing still looks ok. I can well imagine how pissed i'd be if this wasn't the case. Only issue I have is lack of information/documentation regarding cleaning this guitar with VOS finish, but thats a different minor gripe.

Dunno if any of this is any help to you at all.

• 5 weeks later...

hi Chengin

i m back again. i ve been playing the JPC for another month now and it sounds good overall. with 9s the sound is warm and very vintage-ish in mid range yet very bright depends on where u pick and fret (on neck pickup). the bridge pup (in humbucker mode) is trebly in a dreamy manner sounds a lot like my tele with duncan JD bridge pickup, when spplit it sounds nothing like tele in fact and is very thin (not brilliant unfortunately)

the 9s still not work too well with bigsby after a month of playing which is not unexpected. anyone note significant diff in tone after switching between 9s and 10s?

i have compared it with regular custom shop 57 les paul custom (R7) with same 3 pups and bigsby in stores. obvious diff is the much bigger neck on R7 and it brings out the bass freq a lot better than JPC. the thin neck on JPC emphasize the mid too much on bass strings and genrally the bottom end is missing .... quite noticable even when not plugged in.

Overall the tone is more balance on R7 both acoustically and plugged. I havent got chance to adjust the pup height on R7 to approximate my JPC to get a "fair" comparison but I hate to say I like the tone on R7 better! any R7 3 pickup black beauty owner here want to trade for my JPC?

No problems whatsoever with mine after 8 months. Love it still!!!

Hi Archer993

what brand/gauge for strings you are putting on it at the moment? is yours a stop bar or Bigsby? I suspect mine have a nut cut too low making the action setup difficult and resulting in a overall sound lack of "depth" , most noticeable on neck pickup....

Opusge

the zakk LP is a regular product for us' date=' and is currently available. the Zakk flying V is a limited run of 300 and is also still available.[/quote']

yes thank you god!!!

but i must wait 2/3 years...

can i reserve one? XD

• 1 month later...

Hi Archer993

what brand/gauge for strings you are putting on it at the moment? is yours a stop bar or Bigsby? I suspect mine have a nut cut too low making the action setup difficult and resulting in a overall sound lack of "depth" ' date=' most noticeable on neck pickup....

Opusge[/quote']

Hi I am using the same strings that the guitar shipped with - Gibson Vintage Reissue 09s. I have the Bigsby.

Archived