Gibson Brands Forums

URGENT QUESTION

cosmos

I ORDERED 2 PICKUPS FROM GUITAR CENTER: A 57 CLASSIC INTENDED FOR NECK USE AND A 57 CLASSIC PLUS INTENDED FOR BRIDGE USE. GUITAR CENTER SENT ME A 57 CLASSIC AND A 57 CLASSIC PLUS BUT THEY ARE BOTH LABELLED AS "NECK POSITION" ON THE WHITE LABEL ON THE OUTSIDE OF BOX. AFTER SENDING PICKUPS BACK AND FORTH THEY ARE NOW TELLING ME THAT THEY SENT THE RIGHT ONE AND THAT IT GOT MISLABELLED AT THEIR WAREHOUSE.

QUESTION: DOES THE 57 CLASSIC PLUS COME AS BOTH A NECK AND A BRIDGE PICKUP?

THE SKU # ON THE WHITE LABEL HAS THE PART #IM57R-NH AND A SKU # 7 11106 53316 2

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THEY COULD JUST NOT GET IT TOGETHER OVER THERE TO GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER.

Do you own an ohm meter and have you checked the output?

I'll see if I can find a listing for how many K it should be.

I suggest you do the same. Seems to me that the classic plus should be for the bridge and should be much hotter.

Willy

i do not have the equiptment you asked about but my buddy who is/was going to install these for me does. anyway- i do intend to use the classic plus for the bridge- thats not the problem- my question is- do they make a classic plus neck pickup AND a classic plus bridge pickup? or is it just the classic plus (unspecified) that you would probably want to use in the bridge. in other words are there 2 different types of classic plus (neck AND bridge) or no? i havent even tried to have these installed yet because i want to make sure i have the right thing!

ok so according to this pickup guide- it looks like the 57 classic can be used in either neck OR bridge and the classic plus is intended only for bridge. i think you may have just answered my question. the only thing i dont understand is how come on the label they are both specified as "NECK POSITION" pickups? it appears to me that there is just one kind of 57 classic and one kind of classic plus. and that the regular classic can be used in either position (neck or bridge) while the classic plus can only be used in bridge. what do you think? am i interpreting this correctly?

ok so according to this pickup guide- it looks like the 57 classic can be used in either neck OR bridge and the classic plus is intended only for bridge. i think you may have just answered my question. the only thing i dont understand is how come on the label they are both specified as "NECK POSITION" pickups? it appears to me that there is just one kind of 57 classic and one kind of classic plus. and that the regular classic can be used in either position (neck or bridge) while the classic plus can only be used in bridge. what do you think? am i interpreting this correctly?

I believe you are interpreting it correctly. Although any pickup can be used in any position I believe the correct statement would be that the plus is intended for the bridge.

Under normal circumstances the hotter pickup goes in the bridge.

Willy

i was just looking at that pickup guide again and up on the top part it shows the relative output of each pickup type and it shows the classic plus is higher output than the classic so by the looks of it i should be alright. thank you so much for your responses- its too long of a story to get into in this post (and more than anyone will care about too i am sure) but it was important for me to sort this out quickly. i think will go ahead and have them installed and see what happens- i also put in an email to the gibson customer service dept. but no one has responded yet.

Archived